Replacement chassis - galvanise or paint?

Timmy511

That sounds like a good price, almost too good to be true. Don't you nead a really clean chassis, acid dipped & washed before plating. I just can't see all this being done for £100.

I'd definently pay £100 if it means that I don'thave to pick up a paintbrush ever again though! Galv is so much better than paints.

What firms will galvanising a chassis for that sort of price?

Oh, I'd say galvanise as you have probably gathered by now!

i dont know their name but its a galvanising place just down the road from richard chassis (rotherham way) from what i gather, theyve quoted me 100-150 to galv a chassis, the number is 01709 56088 you need to speak to lynn, you need to deliver the chassis and it have to be clean when you take it with NO paint on it! how you do that is up to you.

im happy with such a quote, but after this thread it looks like i saving up a few more beans for a new chassis from richards anyway.

i dont know their name but its a galvanising place just down the road from richard chassis (rotherham way) from what i gather, theyve quoted me 100-150 to galv a chassis, the number is 01709 56088 you need to speak to lynn, you need to deliver the chassis and it have to be clean when you take it with NO paint on it! how you do that is up to you.

im happy with such a quote, but after this thread it looks like i saving up a few more beans for a new chassis from richards anyway.

Thanks, Thats good to know, I always thought it was expensive to get things galvanised. £500 ish & with the hassle of removing everything from the chassis I haven't even looked into it in the past, always have other jobs to do to keep it on the road.

I would have thought that acid dipping the chassis prior to galvanising would remove the rust on the inside of the chassis & then galv would prevent it from coming back in a long time. Is the concern that when an old chassis gets dipped it comes out with holes everywhere & thin sections that are weaker? Or is it that you just cant remove all the rust & it'll just come straight back within a few years?

I might be lifting the body off soon, what a fun job that will be!

Thanks, Thats good to know, I always thought it was expensive to get things galvanised. £500 ish & with the hassle of removing everything from the chassis I haven't even looked into it in the past, always have other jobs to do to keep it on the road.

I would have thought that acid dipping the chassis prior to galvanising would remove the rust on the inside of the chassis & then galv would prevent it from coming back in a long time. Is the concern that when an old chassis gets dipped it comes out with holes everywhere & thin sections that are weaker? Or is it that you just cant remove all the rust & it'll just come straight back within a few years?

I might be lifting the body off soon, what a fun job that will be!

from what i gather, the acid only removes surface rust but id hope itll get behind any scaling and eat that away. You should be able to tell if your chassis isnt worth galvanising because the easiest way to remove all the pain/underseal from the outside is to have it shot blast (another 100 pounds!), any think sections or holes would be shown up there as holes would be holes and thing sections would be dents/wavy sections.

even if it doenst galv perfect, itll be damn site better than paint and waxoyl imo.

from what i gather, the acid only removes surface rust but id hope itll get behind any scaling and eat that away. You should be able to tell if your chassis isnt worth galvanising because the easiest way to remove all the pain/underseal from the outside is to have it shot blast (another 100 pounds!), any think sections or holes would be shown up there as holes would be holes and thing sections would be dents/wavy sections.

even if it doenst galv perfect, itll be damn site better than paint and waxoyl imo.

I would have though an acid dip would remove more than surface rust, I have seen an old air-cooled VW after it has come back from being dipped & it was very very clean, rust free, well what came back was rust free, but it was rather riddled with holes. Maybe I'm getting the processes mixed up a bit, are they just quickly washing the chassis off to remove surface impurities? If so couldn't they just dip it a little longer? Slight extra cost I'd guess, but worth it for a good long lasting finish.

The chassic I've got is in good condition, its from a 100" 1994 Range Rover & it seems solid. Its just I'd like it to stay that way & I hate treating rust. I always end up with more paint on me, the drive & the kitchen sink than I do on the truck!

If getting a chassis galvanised was to cost a few hunderd quid I'm thinking its better than coating over rust with fairly expensive paints & woxoyl every few years, it should be easier to clean & work on in the future aswell.

itll depend on the acid used, with galvanising they do it to remove anything thats on the surface of the metal so the zinc has something clean to react with.

when i go down to richards chassis ill get the low down from the guy down there.

i cant wait to get it all sorted, been doing my bulkhead today, when my 90s rebuild its going to be solid!

rebuild thread to follow in a month or two.

It'll probably most likely be a phosphoric acid solution. This attacks only oxide(rust).

But if there is more than just surface rust it will remove that untill there is nothing

left to remove. :rolleyes:

In that case I'll be a little bit nervouse when it goes into the tank as I don't want to have just my roll cage & winch mounts returned to me without a chassis attached to them.

How rusty can a Land-Rover chassis be? Actually, don't answer that one!

i just bought a galv chassis a month or so back an hamer righted it main reason add a bit of protection but main reason is to cover up that nice new shiny galv chassis under neath that any no good should get a proper job theft will see and just see ££££££££££££££

dave