Setting an example.

Hillbilly Raider

Sat at the pooter late afternoon, saw some kids out in the street with a young cat.

Watched them for a while as there seemed to be something not quite right about the whole thing.

Now at this stage i must point out that the kids were from a VERY up market street and approx 7-10 years of age ,2 boys and 2 girls.

They started running around with the cat in their arms pretending to throw the cat at each other and then just letting the cat fall out of their arms.

Then one of the girls went to kick the cat although i dont think she hit it.

It was at this stage that i went to the front door and called across the street asking if it was their cat.

They replied that it was not and so i told them (notice that i told them and did not shout)

that they shouldnt do things like that and suggested they let the cat go.

The girl who it seemed was about to kick the cat , put her hands on her hips and gave me the "who do you think you are " look and screamed "i am going to tell my mum of you"

Ireplied" do that and tell her i saw what you were doing"

About 7 oclock there comes a knock on the door, my daughter answers it to find a man on the doorstep asking to speak to her mother.

My daughter using the manners i have taught her invites the man to step inside.

only to be shouted at to "get her now!!"

Turns out it is the cat kickers father.

Now he is i should imagine a white collar worker whos parents have some money and who one would think had a good education and some manners?

(having never met the man i can only go on my impressions)

Before i could say "goodevening" and or explain what i had seen, he flies into a toraid of abuse about his daughter NEVER kicking a cat how she looks after animals never lies came home in tears etc etc

I could not get a word in!

He then threatens to get the police on me and puts his face right up to mine and shouts NEVER SPEAK TO MY DAUGHTER AGAIN!!!!

My husband then comes to the door to see what all the fuss is about and points out that why would a 40 something year old make up a story like this??

It really has left me daised, no wonder kids are growing up to expect every thing from the world and his wife if the parents think they never do any wrong and things like this go unpunnished???!!!

Little cat kicker probably got hugs and kisses and has learnt that you can go around treating animals and other grown ups this way! :angry::angry::angry:

Margaret here taking over Mike's log-in.

I can live through every minute of your experience. Children today, and especially those from more affluent homes, except that the world owes them a living. They think they can do as they wish and let someone else take the blame and their parents are even worse.

I was a teacher before my retirement a couple of years ago and could tell many stories such as you have but the one that will always be with me is of a year 7 boy who had only been in the school a few weeks. At that time I took the kids orienteering and on their first trip the newbies were given implicit instructions not only about their general behaviour but safety instructions as they were 'running' in pairs on open countryside with only a map to guide them. They were told that they MUST at all times stay with their chosen partner. Well you can probably imagine what happened - the kid in question arrived back at the finish in quite a quick time but without his friend and with the map in his hand (Rulkes say 2 people 1 map) I was horrified and scenes of police scouring the hills and headlines in the local paper flashed through my mind.Friends in the club began a search for the missing lad while I dealt with the miscreant. He was taken back to the coach and left there in the care of the friendly driver while I sorted out the rest of the kids.Everyone returned safely having thoroughly enjoyed their day and we all went back to the coach to find our little toe-rag setting up to the driver who had asked him to keep his muddy feet off the seats. I soon dealt with that one in my by now very friendly !!!! manner, isolated him from the others and prepared a report top his parent as to why he would not be allowed out with us again.

End of story you might think - o no. I got a very abusive letter from mum's partnerwho said I wasn't fit to run the local fish stall and the child was very sensible and would never leave a partner in that situation. The school head became involved as did the union and it turned out this said person was acrually a supply teacher at another of our local schools where a friend also took the kids orienteering and had been at the event on the sunday (what goes around always comes around) I don't think his teaching career lasted very long at that establishment.

The story concluded many years later as I was retiring. There was an application arrived for my post. I will leave you to guess who it was from and what the outcome was.

These people who take astep up in the world have no cosideration for others and others are only doormats. There children are even worse as they are on the whole spoilt rotten and are never taught any manners. If I were you I would be reporting the matter to the RSPCA and the police not forgetting to report the abuse from the father.

Sorry for the rant but you are not the only one and in time there will be just reward.

Margartet

I don't think the money people earn has anything to do with it a family on income will spoil there kids just as much as a well off one.

They band discipline in schools and we are left with a country that has gone to rat sh*t when I grew up I had respect for the police and my elders.

Most kids today don’t

If I got into trouble I was guilty till proven innocent by my mum and dad and they believe my teacher over me always. At the time I hated it but it worked in the long run.

There is no smoke with out fire I seem to recall being said on a regular basis

I will admit I got it easy compared with my brother Ali.

we are left with a country that has gone to rat sh*t when I grew up I had respect for the police and my elders.

Well, I can symphatize with the respect thing, my parents never took any **** of me or get involved into fights with teachers but let them get on with their job.

These days, children are the boss over parents. Unfortunately, this is not limited to your country, but everywhere the same where I have been. Even here in Czech, which is not the most wealthy, the kids are spoilt to death, like the parents have to make up for something they didnt get. Dont even get me started about my home country (I am dutch), what happens there is even more ridiculous. It is the modern thinking that makes things like having 2 mothers or fathers seemingly normal, or 2 sets of parents. Its a mess over there!

Daan

Guest diesel_jim
Hindsight is a wonderful thing .

This morning (after a sleepless night) there are so many things i wish i had said to him!!

I walk my dog that way every day, and may well bump into him again but.. the moment will be lost and my remarks or actions will be wasted.

Well, i would contact the plice now and report him for abusive beaviour (tell them you felt threatened as he was using "language that would lead one to fear for their safety"... i know this one... it cost me a £1000 fine! :angry: ...but i digress.....), then contact the RSPCA and report the little brats for curelty to animals.

let the authorities sort it out.

I can't help but think what sort of people these kids will turn into. Its frightening really how many kids don't appreciate even the most basic manners and simple courtesy and respect. I've found its best to leave it to the authorities, though. A lot of the time, if you get involved, they end up becoming resentful and then they really start to make a nuisance of themselves...

Sad to say Will that that is one of the reasons we did not call the Police.

What could they really do after all? the father was not going to take on board that i had seen his child doing wrong.My word against a crying child???

You live in fear of comebacks when you try to do the right thing.so often you hear of peoples houses/cars getting broken into in the middle of the day right under the noses of the neighbours but "no one saw anything"

people getting mugged but "no one saw anything"

Once apon a time it was the right and moral thing to do (report a crime/incident) but sadly no one wants to get" involved" these days

I do not regret telling the kids off it might have made me unpopular with the neighbours but i cant follow the trend of "not getting involved" never have never will, it has caused me problems in the past but thats how i was brought up... stand up for what you believe in, in this case it was Kids dont have the right to manhandle cats!

Guest diesel_jim
What could they really do after all? the father was not going to take on board that i had seen his child doing wrong.My word against a crying child???

camera? video camera of them doing the evil deed?

camera? video camera of them doing the evil deed?

Makes no blind bit of difference. I once watched as a gang of youths raided the lock-up across from my mum's house. I was on my own at the time and there was IIRC 3 maybe 4 of them, so getting involved was not the best action.

However, I had my SLR camera and zoom lens. I was able to take some fairly decent photographs of the offenders breaking the door down and then carrying away some "loot".

Phoned the Police and told them what happened, when the Police arrived they said "thank you very much but the pictures are useless without date stamp and even then probably not admissable in court"

On a seperate occassion, my late father became away of a group (I dont want to you the word gang!) of "youths" running through the garden and generally causing damage to plants and shrubs in the garden. He sneeked off out the back door and caught one as they tried to trample the plants again - he did no more than grab the kid to get his attention and held him until my Mum called the Police. When the Police arrived, they spoke to everyone involved - the group of probably 5 and my mum and dad and decided that the balance of opinion was that my dad started it and he should be charged with assault.

To put it in context, to this day there is not one single window to the front of my mums house that does not have chip marks where stones have been thrown at them!

For once common sense provailed and although he got a talking to from the Police they decided not to charge my dad.

If he was in your house, a good hard smack around the head and uncousiciousness followed by call to police "I was in fear for my life / just had this lump of X handy or gosh knows what would have happended to me" would have been the ticket................

Outside your property different story...............

Bullies rarely like a hard target, either do nothing or the above, ..........but nothing in between

Hence why I have a selection of handy objects within reach, seriously in this day and age the number of nutters / canvassasers who push to try to get it / God-Squadders, and care in the community "Buy this £10 sponge off me etc" you should be very aware of your vunerablity......and how easily you can be severaley injured....

People carry Knifes and other weapons, and who knows what, if someone comes into my house shouting and screaming for no good reason I would rather have a criminal record than a nutter / knife wound / wife in trouble.

Nige

slightly off the subject, but my older brother in december 2004 (dates are important here) was attacked by a group of 6-10 lads during a night out, they put a bottle across his head, my brother managed to leave the place, and was given a headstart by the bouncers, unfortunately this group caught up with him in their car, jumped out and brutally attacked him, the girl he was with knew a few of them, so we were able to give names and addresses to the police. my bothers face needed 3 metal plates to reconstruct his face. the police told us that these guys had no previous convictions, so were not arrestable.. they didn't even check, they all had previous charges of assualt battery ABH you name it.. 3 months passed and they sent a letter to them asking "when would it be convenient to arrest you?" and got a letter back saying "some time next month would be fine" after they can put together an alaby (however you spell it) when they tell the police their story, they tell my brother that he is lying and that he attacked them, or that they weren't there. the police believed them! my brother is not stupid, he would not attack 6 guys. come june 2005, 6 months after the attack, two of them finally go to court. in august 2005 one got away with it, and the other was given a few hours community service. for GBH with intent (to murder?) maximum sentence for this is 15 years.

honestly I think that is criminal. when these people do become criminals, they know that no matter what happens they will get away with it.

as for witnesses, the bouncer changed his story half way through, and in the middle of a busy town at 11pm on a saturday night noone "saw" this happening. 2 hours later someone was murdered on the same street. it might have been the same people.

I find that something along the lines of "Sorry mate, but I don't speak a word of english" - in a very english accent, tongue ties and ultimatly get's rid of most such people. You have to try quite hard not to laugh though as it can result in a sore nose.

I look forward to the friends of jesus or sales people coming to play.

Bullies rarely like a hard target

They are fun to wind up though!

"I like your shoes - did you make them yourself?"

Si

If he was in your house, a good hard smack around the head and uncousiciousness followed by call to police "I was in fear for my life / just had this lump of X handy or gosh knows what would have happended to me" would have been the ticket................

Outside your property different story...............

I like the approach in Texas. Friends out there were told by the local chief of police "If you shoot a burglar climbing in your window and he falls out, drag him back in before you call us. That way we don't take any action against you." :lol:

as for witnesses, the bouncer changed his story half way through, and in the middle of a busy town at 11pm on a saturday night noone "saw" this happening. 2 hours later someone was murdered on the same street. it might have been the same people.

When one of my colleagues got laid out cold on a works night out a few months back it was the bouncer's mate who did it... Full credit to the police in this case, though - the guy had previous and was well known to them. He was charged with assault and did time for it (not sure how much - hopefully he's still inside).

you must live in a nice area, that you allow your daughter to answer the door to strangers. Beverly Hillbilly?

really, though, call yourselves Hillbillies? what happened to the 'perfect excuse for a family feud'? should have at least fired a few shots. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll be having words with Don Scorsese. Italian children may be spitting on your motor/s when you are in the Alps

Else it's time to change your login names..

video camera evidence usually works quite well in court; while there's no guarantee of the blatantly obvious being accepted by the court, it's generally a bit of an advantage. Trouble with normal photos is there's a tradition, albeit a bit unnecessary, of proving that the photos you took are the photos that got returned from the developer; the police photographers develop their own photos for that very reason.

Back in August my house was burgled. I came home and the Police had secured the house and left a note saying that two boys and two girls had been 'removed' (they were told to bugger off), and there wa no damage. These youths had in fact spent the night in my house, they had got drunk, slept in my bed, tore up books and strewn the pages aroung the bedroom like confetti, played noughts and crosses on the plastic casing of my pc and printer with a scalpel, and broken various new L/R parts that I had in the house. I complained to the police ans they told me to get some sandwich bags, put the scalpel,L/R bits, etc in them without leaving prints if possible. The officer then made an oppointment for me to take the evidence to Westlea Police Station, which was closed when I got there at the appointed time. Two further appointments made by the same officer were cancelled by him, and to this day no action has been taken. This is typical of the totally carp policing here in Wiltshire.

My brother-in-law is a Chief Inspector and he said he wasn't surprised at how this was handled. You can complain, but you will then be regarded as a trouble maker.

On another (and violent) matter, I used to do my welding/ larger car repairs at the premises of Ridgeway 4x4 here in Swindon. The owner - Richard Hart had an attitude to business that was'nt to my liking, and his deteriorating repution was rubbing off on me, so I quit. He first of all blocked my car in so that I couldn't leave, then, after I had called the Police, he stepped away from the car and as I went to get in the car he punched me very hard in the back of the head. Then followed a continued attack by him as I tried to get away from him by getting in the car. He was pulled away briefly by a friend of his but broke away and once again continued the assault - trying to drag me back out of the car I assume to beat me up. Anyway - I managed to get away and the Police arrived 20 minutes later. Mr Hart told them that I had hit him and he was defending himself, no-one was prepared to say differently (he is a very big guy) . The result was the Police would either arrest me for assaulting Mr Hart or I could forget it. I can understand thier point of view, but I do feel that more could have been done. As a bonus - the officers did a pnc check on me and my car!

The humiliation of being beaten-up by someone is totally disregarded by the police and courts. Because cuts etc heal up, they imagine that no real harm has been done. If I had had the presence of mind to defend myself on that day - maybe by stabbing Mr Hart with a biro or anything like that - I may well be in prison now.

The guy that lives next door to - 'Bird Brain' Diesel Jim and I call him - regularly threatens to stab, bat ' I'll smash yer F***g head in' etc, and has done for years. Trivial things like where I legally park, putting the washing out when he's racing his pigeons, just about anything if he decides he doesn't like it. His son leans out of his bedroom window, smokes a cigarrette and then throws the still lit stub into my back garden. I asked him to tell his son to stop, to which he replied 'your garden is a f****g mess anyway'. Now once a week I pick up the cigarrette ends and throw them back over into his garden. Going by previous experience of Bird Brain, he will soon decide to once again threaten to stab me etc. He knows I'm right in what I'm doing with regards to these cigarrette butts, so he'll look for the opportunity to have a go for some other reason.

All this anger must be bad for him - at least he'll be in a box a lot quicker than me and I'll get some peace :)

Les.

"you must live in a nice place"

we did untill all the so called better class "yuppies decieded that our village was THE place to live (hour and a half from London, good for the sailing etc)

As i said it was one of these kids i had the problem with, any way my dad is Chair of the parrish council and other people have complained about the behaviour of these kids so i think a name and shame article will be in the next parrish mag!!

As for Hillbillies .. the state of my front garden sometimes (Landies in bits) i spect that the neighbours call us Pikeys when we not looking!! :lol::lol::lol:

the state of my front garden sometimes (Landies in bits) i spect that the neighbours call us Pikeys when we not looking!! :lol::lol::lol:

you should try a sw conversion, in the public car park, among all the well-to-do ski folk, with a '72 hybrid that one local calls 'poubelle' while suggesting blowing it up [kind of worrying as it's on Lpg :o ] give the French credit, they say it to your face rather than behind your back :rolleyes:

I have really worked on the conversion during the sunny weather as the sw tub had been making a bit of an eyesore of itself; now, temporarily until Ebay delivers me from it, the hardtop tub is precariously eyesorily getting close inspections from the parking police/ local council/ etcetera; the [apparently head] parking policeman said to me the other day, "vous êtes vraiment Anglais, vous" I took it as a compliment, although a birdie tells me it wasn't particularly meant as such :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last Friday night/Saturday morning there was an absolute furore here. A load of yoofs went on the rampage in about 5 streets, one of which was our road and they also chucked a wall capping through the window of my grandparents neigbours, loads of stuff got smashed. About 20 incidents. Heard the helicopter up for hours and saw a copper going up the road with a dog etc, loads of nik-nik about etc. They have got one 17 and one 16 yr old for it but things don't seem hopeful. Perhaps when they were 5 their dog got run over and so they can't help being unsavoury and incapable of blending into society. The funny thing is it is a peaceful, fairly pleasant area (my landrover activities are looked on with a mixture of apathy and confusion, apart from one bloke with an old awstin 1100!!) and this sort of thing is almost unheard of, but it is getting more and more noticable.

The bloke over the road is a real nice bloke but tough as hell, if he and I went out and 'subdued' them and waited for the Police the first thing that would happen is the Bill would be round for my shotguns and the hoodlums would be laughing all the way to their next felony.

My brother-in-law is a Chief Inspector and he said he wasn't surprised at how this was handled. You can complain, but you will then be regarded as a trouble maker.

well Mr Henson, I have given the matter a bit of consideration, here is my draft letter for you to send:

Dear pc/dc etcetera,

I write further to my recent requests that you advance the cause of catching the burglars who broke into my house on / / , when they were disturbed by police, who set them free without noticing[?] the considerable damage they had done to my property, during the course of the burglary. As [you] requested, I had put the items the burglars had damaged, into plastic bags without touching them; so as to preserve fingerprints. I understand that scenes of crimes officers are far too valuable to actually secure evidence from the scenes of crimes.

I now understand, from speaking to various local acquaintances of mine, that I have approached this matter wrongly. You are of course right not to lift a finger until such time as I have sent you the customary baksheesh. Here, accordingly, is the £20 that my acquaintances tell me is the right amount you normally demand. I hope you have time free from your pressing work of ordering bemused passersby around / beating up new age travellers, to check the burglars' fingerprints against the national database. For the £20, I hope that you would at least arrest anybody looking vaguely suspicious, such as [enter name of a person you are not particularly fond of here]. I hope the sum is sufficient to avoid the arbitrary arrest of members of my family; I would have sent more for that purpose, only, since the burglary that your colleagues so bravely allowed to happen, cash is a bit tight.

I look forward to hearing from you,

etcetera

The beauty of it being that they are a bit stuck accusing you of bribery, as the imputations tend to invoke a more serious procedure. Of course, you may get a reputation as a smart @rse, although you may think better that than as a troublemaker; it works for me :lol: :lol: :lol: