Pushing The Boundaries

Rhodie

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of carrying out maintenance and converting my 200tdi discovery into a tourer. I have 2 questions pertaining to:

Removing and adding an electric fan

Adding a secondary intercooler

Firstly i would like to remove the viscous fan and add a kenlowe or similar electric fan to my motor. Has anyone done this conversion and what are the pro's and con's of this idea?

Secondly i have been considering upgrading my intercooler. Unfortunately the aftermarket ones that you get here are for the models that do not have the Airconditioner radiator that straddles both the radiator and intercooler. In the September / October issue i think of Landrover International there was an article of a 200/300tdi with a secondary intercooler mounted through the bonnet. Any comments on this setup?

Cheers

Rhodie

The search button is your friend, electric fans have been done to death 100x, the short version is:

- Use a tape measure, visit the scrapyard, buy the biggest fan that'll fit

- Buy an X-Eng fan switch, don't forget the forum discount :P

Just ditch the viscous fan and carry it in the back. Unless you do serious towing or off-roading then it is unessesary.

Mine has been off for about 3 years now. Only ever got toastie once when very heavily laden, and towing 2.5 tonnes of boat up a mountain whilst stuck at 10mph behind an HGV. I just stuck it back on until I got to the top.

As for a second intercooler - get a bigger/uprated one. A quick google will turn up all the usual suspects.