Clunk and grind

Ootini

Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to owning a Landrover Freelander. It's an 02 1.8 Petrol ES with 60k on the clock, and I have some concerns. I've had a mechanic friend who knows a bit about engines, but sod all about anything else, check the car over and he has said that the engine seems to be fine but he doesn't know much about the transmission system, it has FSH which shows a new head gasket 10,000 miles ago.

My concerns with the car seem to be more to do with the transmission (I think). There are two issues I have.

When making a tight turn at low speeds, for example moving around a car park, the car has a tendancy to try and slow itself down when I come off the power and every now and again there is quite a loud clunk from underneath the car. It sounds like the cornering manouvre pushes something out of place which then slots back in (which causes the clunk). Is this a nightmare or is it normal etc?

The other issue is the Hill Descent Mode, now I don't plan on going off road or towing anything so I'll probably never use Hill Descent however I flipped the big yellow gear lever switch the other day and moved off slowly in first gear, just to see what it did, the car travelled normally with the light a solid green, I then went to change gear, still at a very low speed, 10-15 I think. As soon as I depressed the clutch the car seemed to pump the brakes and issued a rather horrendous grinding / crunching noise from the front. I immediately stopped the car, reset the hill descent switch and moved off again this time it was fine. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing the point of what hill descent is supposed to do? Or is it all knackered and waiting to cost me a fortune?

Also when I first bought the Freelander (about three months ago) there were some other issues which the second hand dealer had fixed these included, a loud clunking coming from the engine bay on power on-power off. Turned out to be a missing engine mount bolt. A clunking when going over bumps, turned out to be the exhaust sitting on a cross member, and also a couple of seals needed replacing. While the garage were performing the repairs they also told the dealer he needed to get a new front prop shaft which he did and they fitted.

List of parts fitted by dealer garage since purchase:

Front prop shaft, front CV gators (both), cam shaft seal, prop shaft seal, engine mounting bolts, back box.

Thanks very much for any help or advice you can give.

Regards

Dave