how much oil in an 8274

Tractorboy16

MAINTENANCE

• No lubrication is required for the life of the winch,

unless the winch is submerged in water. If this

occurs, a qualified service center must complete

service as soon as possible to prevent corrosion

damage. .

found the above staement in this document 8274-50 owners handbook on page 8. http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/images/59/38292D3.pdf

in the spec list it states Lubrication: 6 oz. SAE 30 (non-detergent) on this page http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8274-50.shtml

I use SAE30 engine oil as that's what I use in my engine so I always have some available :) I've also used ATF in the past. Too thick an oil won't move around enough as it relies on splash lubrication for the upper gears and bearings, the SAE30 gets everywhere.

You only need enough to fill the winch to the bottom of the drum. Any more than that and it will probably leak out anyway.

I used SAE30 bought from my local agricultural supplier (this is very cheap) and changed regularly - regular changes are vital as these winches aren't well sealed. As a result using expensive oil gets very expensive.

Given how often you do changes get hold of an old jam jar and mark it up for the volume. :)

the correct level is 200ml 0.2litre

when you put it in it dosent lok like a lot but it is well splashed arround by the big gear.

more oil puts extra drag on the gears, and will leak out if the main drum seal isnt absolutely perfect.

the best possible oil is fully synthetic ep90 you wont belive the difference it makes to the speed ;)

I have to take the top cover off both of mine and change the oil in them after every howling wolf event :(

• 2 weeks later...