12V compressor

pugwash

Well i might not get everything i want, but i'm looking for a compressor suitable for expedition use (ie reliable) that can air tyres up and down reasonably quickly and if possible power air tools without an enormous tank:

Priorities:

Reliability

Performance

Size (doesn't need to be tiny but it can be huge either)

Noise

In that order

Things that don't matter:

Amp Draw

Heat

Portability (it will be hard mounted)

dust Protection (will be mounted in semi enclosed compartment)

what works and what doesn't?

Puggers

Everyone seems to rave about the twin cyl T-Max compressor. Not sure if James has one or he borrowed it. Bearmach do them quite cheaply IIRC.

Are you about for a call in a bit

James had my one a while back

superb piece of kit

will reseat a tyre easily

and pumps up x4 tyres in no time

£65-75ish from Foundry 4x4 on ebay when I ordered a couple, after using Honiton hobbits one at an event

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-Max-Heavy-Duty-Twi...%3A1|240%3A1318

If you want to power tools then Matt savage sells the range SteveG has

far more spendy/ better quality(build wise) the clips on the T max are rubbish.

That's the 1. Wasn't sure who owned it.

You spend last weekend, 2 foot away from one !!! :o

Yep, the T-max twin, is the one i have as well,, perfect for the jobs Tony lists,,,but would not say man enough for running power tools etc

Better for you, i would have though is to think about a system off the A/C pump

I doubt anything 12 volt would provide enough oomph for air tools without a decent sized tank as a buffer.

My 2HP 25L compressor won't keep up with a rattle gun, 2HP is about 1.5KW which if was 12 volts would be sucking about 125 amps so it doesn't take long to figure out that the maths don't add up in providing sufficient power from a 12 volt battery for anything other than short bursts.

I have also been thinking about the Tmax one as it seems a reasonable compromise of cost vs performance and much better than the one I have at the moment which mostly seems to convert 12 volts into noise and vibration (keep it clean...) however I wasn't going to run air tools off it. I did order it at one stage but it was on back order and missed the shipment we had coming in. I suppose if you could pick up a reciever from a dud 25L compressor and stuff it out of the way somewhere you might get a passable system that could be used for odd jobs.

dont want to lose the A/C if i can help it as i am hoping to travel to warmer climes at some point- and it would be nice to have an ice cold car (and i bought a brand new AC condenser not so long ago for quite a lot of pennies).

Engine bay not big enough to fit in two compressors- although if you find that link of a york pump on a 1HD-T on ih8mud then i'd be interested in seeing it Paul.

Tony what has your experience of the double header T-max jobby been? realiable? noisey? etc etc

Jim

It is fine really

blown up air beds/swimming pools

reseated Simex on modulars

blown up tyres on beadlocks

reseated BFGs

okish as a air gun to blow out small things,

James inflated a flat tractor tyre with it.

Can't flt it at all bar the crappy croc clips and PCL fitting (cheapo) but easily rectified (even though I haven't bothered to my shame

Have you considered a foot pump? If you install JST with it - I'm sure it will run air tools quite happily!

Si

He's got nowt else todo for the next 15 yrs or so. :o:P:P

James inflated a flat tractor tyre with it.

it inflated a completely flat rear tractor tyre in the time it took me to throw the ball for the dog and her bring it back 6 times - so about 3mins i reckon - very impressed with it.

Have you considered a foot pump? If you install JST with it - I'm sure it will run air tools quite happily!

and sit in puggers garage going nowhere for years - i can do that in my own truck :ph34r: :ph34r:

We've found those T max twin jobbies even work after a good dunking - just give'em a second to clear the water out of the line and away they go, the switch box is pants and needs replacing with somehing more robust beforehand though, great bit of kit for the money :)