R380's and 300 Tdi swivel preload

Guest mr_wuffles

Has anyone replaced the plastic cup/bush on the Lever of an R380 Disco gearbox?

How do you adjust the swivel preload on a 300 Tdi axle?

According to Mr Haynes the preload is 3.6 - 4.5 kg for a DEFENDER with the seal removed, I can't remember the setting when the seal is in place.

Take the wheel off and the trackrods etc., remove the bolts holding the oil seal in place, remove the seal and undo the 2 bolts holding the top pin in, work it out, remove shims as reqd and do up again, check preload with a spring balance in the trackrod hole etc.etc. I suppose you are meant to drain the swivel housing but I normally put a tray under it and top up as required.

I assume it would be similar for a Disco.

[Take the wheel off and the trackrods etc., remove the bolts holding the oil seal in place, remove the seal and undo the 2 bolts holding the top pin in, work it out, remove shims as reqd and do up again, check preload with a spring balance in the trackrod hole etc.etc. I suppose you are meant to drain the swivel housing but I normally put a tray under it and top up as required.

From Geoff...........

If you take any shims out, the small bolts around the seal "holder" must be removed to allow the seal to centralise, you might get away with a couple of thou but you might not.

I suggest you take the lot apart and have a look at the bearings, if they have done 70 to 80 K they are probably worn, adjusting them will then only work for a short while, its as if something accelerates the wear, is it the surface, or the case hardening woearing off? I dont know, but do it proper then you dont have to do it again.

Oh! watch the oil doesnt go everywhere, specially on the brakes, use a sheet of card or something to direct it into a tray. Better still drain it through the very small drain hole, this takes a long time, I take it out the night before and leave it overnight.

Geoff

I have done this job 3 times now on my Defender. The thing I don't do is remove the bolts holding the seal in place and the seal. Disturbing an old seal is asking for a leak to start. And as for their technical method of using a fishing scale, I find it best to do the whole thing by 'feel'. ie. take some shims out and see what it is like. There should be some resistance when turning the swivel, but it shouldn't be rock solid. But on the other hand, they can't write that in the manual :P

I am down to a couple of wafer-thin shims now, so next step is to renew the bearings and the seals. (Did I say you should keep any shims you remove - you will need them!).

In fact, at 225k (kms) so far, the next step will be a complete overhaul with all seals and wheel bearings to be changed. It's not a difficult job, quite fun really. Luckily my swivels are still in perfect unpitted nick.

Has anyone replaced the plastic cup/bush on the Lever of an R380 Disco gearbox?

How do you adjust the swivel preload on a 300 Tdi axle?

I don't know about the plastic cup on the g/box, but I have some pic's of the swivel refurbishment on my website if that helps.

Diflock also have a good guide to doing the job. Tis an easy one.

Jas

(www.jojas.co.uk)