My disco is overheating - need help!

Joniphoo

Tonite my disco 96 300tdi overheated on motorway on way home - so pulled over to check problem.

Small amount of white smoke coming from fan area - loosened cap on filler tank - lots of gurgling - let engine cool and had car recovered home rather than risk any damage. No overheating experienced before but only had car 3 weeks.

Too dark to check anything as yet - but where should I start?

Cheers in advance

Joniphoo

I would start with the cheap things first or i should say less labour intensive,

1, Is the thermostat working correctly

2, Is the rad covered in mud/leaves

3, Is the expansion tank cap ok

4, Have you got the correct anti freeze mix

5, Is the water pump squeeking leaking

6, Any external or internal leakage

7, Any water in the oil or oil in the water

My head gasket has gone and im in the throws of replacing it,easy job no real complicated things to get your head round and parts are cheap,it started of loosing coolent and not leaking anywhere,then the heater went stone cold then hot and i couldnt get rid of the air in the system,so off with its head and treated myself to a new rad as well.Hope you get it sorted mate.

I would start with the cheap things first or i should say less labour intensive,

1, Is the thermostat working correctly

2, Is the rad covered in mud/leaves

3, Is the expansion tank cap ok

4, Have you got the correct anti freeze mix

5, Is the water pump squeeking leaking

6, Any external or internal leakage

7, Any water in the oil or oil in the water

My head gasket has gone and im in the throws of replacing it,easy job no real complicated things to get your head round and parts are cheap,it started of loosing coolent and not leaking anywhere,then the heater went stone cold then hot and i couldnt get rid of the air in the system,so off with its head and treated myself to a new rad as well.Hope you get it sorted mate.

Cheers Peasy

Will spend a day going through the list and hope its something minor.

Ta

Joniphoo - ex manager of Millers Well East Ham - say high to all the John's - John the dog, John the winders etc