Rear disc brake conversion

Ryan

While I was stood in the rain today with a couple of forumeers fixing the brakes (and some other stuff that came up), when discussion turned to my intention to swap out the Salisbury drum axle to a Salisbury disc axle, and the problems I've had getting one (1) closeish to me; and (2) at the right sort of price (cheap). They suggested that I may not need to bother about another Salisbury axle and just put Rover axle underneath (of which there are oodles and come at the right sort of price (sometimes even the best price ;) ))

What are the thoughts of the collective? Any other options?

It's a 110 hard top 200tdi, most of the time empty, but being developed for a camping platform.

there's a reason land rover had to put salisbury axles in the back of long wheelbase models instead of rover ones.

i'll be damned if i know why they went back to them again though....

because they are alot stronger no problem coverting yours to discs search the forum for diesel jims step by step instructions a doddle and doesent cost a fortune

there's a reason land rover had to put salisbury axles in the back of long wheelbase models instead of rover ones.

i'll be damned if i know why they went back to them again though....

because the Rover axle internals isn't strong enough to handle the 110's maximum gross weight & the casing isn't either. Diesel_Jim converted a rear Salisbury from drum to disc [it's now under V8 Freals 110] & I'm sure if you do a search you will find DJ's write up.

what i meant was, i'll be damned if i know why they went back to rover ones. 2002 onwards i think, must have been some sort of irrational behaviour fever going round solihull.

if you have also contracted this fever, you will need a post 2002 110 rear prop (because of the difference in diff nose length) and to swap over the spring seats to the larger 110 type. might also want to get hold of a reasonable supply of axle spares.

otherwise, jsut convert what you have. even east coast rover seem to do the conversion to drum braked 110 axles.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll be sticking with Salisbury for the weight issue. However, not sure about tackling the conversion. I generally don't have the time or the skills for a lot of the stuff. The Defender is the only way I get to work and can only be off the road for a max on 3.5 days, and any work has to be done in a carpark. I'll think I'll have to go for the plug-and-play option, which may be sooner that I was hoping after a little forgetfulness on Saturday.

The salisbury axle aint as strong as you lot think.

The only strong bit about it is the differential.

The shafts are standard rover.

Why did the mod drop the salisbury if it was that good?

The 04 110 axle has a 4 pin diff.

The devon 4x4 110 trayback uses a 90" axle if you look closeley at the pics on thier website so it cant be that weak. (the tube that is)

Why did the mod drop the salisbury if it was that good? MoD didn't drop it LR made a production change & used the P38 RR axle as the basis for the later 110 rear axle

The devon 4x4 110 trayback uses a 90" axle if you look closeley at the pics on thier website so it cant be that weak. (the tube that is) Yes, but the D44 is a lot lighter than a heavily loaded 110 hardtop or station wagon.

Guest diesel_jim
The devon 4x4 110 trayback uses a 90" axle if you look closeley at the pics on thier website so it cant be that weak. (the tube that is)

The devon 110 trayback uses a new type 110 rear axle, not a 90 one.

Ryan,

That axle certainly looks like a post 2002 110 rear and so should do what you want. However you have a 200 TDI with a LT77 box so I am not sure if you will be able to find an 'off the shelf' prop to fit. Your existing prop will be too short and not sure if the post 2002 TD5 one will fit as they had the R380 box. Certainly the 90 TD5 rear prop is a different length to the 200TDI (if that makes sense!!) May be worth considering when adding up the total cost of going down this route as bespoke props are I guess £150 or so.

not sure how viable this is as you mention you carry out work in a car park...if you have a space inside to do work, like a shed or small garage, not the dining room table, you could feasibly buy another drum braked salisbury and follow diesle jim's conversion guide. then it is just a matter of bolting it up as would be the case buying a complete disc braked axle.

Why did the mod drop the salisbury if it was that good?

it has this wonderful thing called 'potential' that a rover axle does not possess.

once you have upgraded the shafts as a weak point in a rover axle, you are left with the diff, which is now your weak point and within the rover axle casing there's not an enormous amount you can do about it.

the upgrade path with a salisbury has much more potential due to its shared lineage with the dana 60 and 70 axles, meaning its possible to upgrade to 35 spline 1.5" shafts as per its dana bretheren. once you have done that, you still have a mighty strong diff with a 10.5" crownwheel and the potential to use more different diff ratios than you can shake a stick at.

which all in all, is jolly good...if only the dollar would fall again.

oh and you can also get a transparent diff cover...did i hear someone mention bling?

not sure how viable this is as you mention you carry out work in a car park..

Answer = not at all. I live in a first floor flat. There is a communal shed thing which should really only be used for storing bikes and the like, and I'm already taking the p*** a bit with all of the LR carp I've stuck in one corner :ph34r:

Yep, looks like a Td5 rear axle to me, :D
With twin brake pipes.... ABS equipped!

Does that mean I'm going to have to modify the brake system? I don't mean fitting ABS, but will I have to put in a twin-line system?

Guest diesel_jim
Does that mean I'm going to have to modify the brake system? I don't mean fitting ABS, but will I have to put in a twin-line system?

Don't think so... you could just fit a non ABS "T" piece and connect both calipers together (As they are on a non-ABS truck)

Don't think so... you could just fit a non ABS "T" piece and connect both calipers together (As they are on a non-ABS truck)

Thanks, I missed out on the TD5 one 'cos I was asleep after working nights. Need more stamina for this...at least there are a couple of options available to me, even if they generally are rarer than rocking-horse watsit :lol: