Simplify Td5 wiring loom

Ced

I would like to simplify the existing wiring loom of my Td5.

Both of them are out of the car.

Now, I would like to get rid of everything, which is not needed to have the engine running.

SO, get rid of all lights, dash, horn, wipers, alarm, radio, 10AS was already removed, and what else ??

Anyone who has serious tips or experience ?

Guest diesel_jim

I did this with Andy Chaplin's tomcat, as his existing dash already had lights/wipers etc fitted,

So i just laid out the loom on the floor, marked up what plug did what, then removed all uneccessary stuff (like lights, horn, wipers, stereo feed, indicators, brake lights reverse lights etc etc.

It was quite rushed, so i didn't have time to really tidy stuff up, and re-do the fuse box etc.

I've got a Td5 dash loom here, one day i plan to have a play and see how easy it is to convert a loom to make it (almost) plug&play into an older defender loom...as a "graft on" sort of thing.

Practical Performance Car magazine had a feature where someone had put a "very" electronic engine into an older car, and he'd bought a donor vehicle. His method was to start the engine and cut each wire to see which stopped the engine - when it worked he reconnected it and restarted the engine.

Guest diesel_jim
@ Diesel Jim, so, the job was possible to do ?

Yes, you only really need to keep the ignition cables (form the ignition switch) as they control the ECU, then all the cabling that goes to the engine and ECU

easier to remove the un-wanted stuff systematically, rather than looking for and keeping the needed stuff, if you get my drift.

I can't remember what ECU stuff routed through the fuse box (the large one with all the mini fuses under the dash) if any, but with a bit of "laying out" of the cables, you'll soon see.

It all worked fine.... Andy went on to win his class in Morocco in the tomcat.

sorry for no tech but... you arent ruining your 90 are you Ced? :(:o

Went there this saturday and the 90 is more a 40... Only the rear tub, remnants of the bulkhead and the engine are on top of the chassis...

'Tubular space frame' was his answer when I asked the inevitable...

Hi,

we are not building a copy etc of anything anyone else has, we have our own "out of the box" ideas and are aiming for

Smaller overall width and height,

Bigger load space / storage,

Lower centre of gravity,

Larger wheels / tyres,

More fuel capacity,

Substantially Lighter weight,

Substantially more power, (still TD5)

Stronger overall cage / protection,

Long lasting,

No one thing has overriding priority,

For example although we are making the cage / chassis in "funny stuff" we decided not to go down in wall thickness due to impact damage "life"

Ced needs this to be a long term vehicle so rebuilding every or every other year is out! Hence stronger tubes, and a little more weight has to give a little to longevity etc.

Saying all that, does not mean to expect anything radical though, it needs to be as simple as possible.

We will keep you informed when we start cutting tubes ;)

Lara

• 12 years later...

Hi all i have a bad loom on my d2 td5 an have replaced nearly all of it but have stopped at the tank. The tank wire an plug seems to run along top of it an The floor is real tight. Does anyone know how to get this out an my new wire in without having to drop the tank out. Some dope filled it with diesel so don't want to have to get that out lol wondered if i unclipped all the fuel pipes an pushed them to one side will it slide down. Ok won't hold my breath as no ones done this job as far as i know. Ok thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi guys 

just on another topic of td5 110 wiring looms! Ie the rear through chassis wiring! Does anyone know anybody that can make one for me? I’ve tried all the car wiring manufacturers (we can make any loom for any car but not a td5 landrover) on line. I’ve phone car Eletrical guys! 
is there a reason why nobody can make a td5 loom!!!

If you know of someone that can make one, please please put it up on the site. Or please tell me on the qt 😄