Air compressors and Duty Cycle Q??

SteveG

What is better to go for..

A Compressor with 1.66CFM and 100% duty cycle or..

one with 2.54CFM and 33% duty cycle.

Use is just for airing up tyres and ARB diif locker/s

Also I assume that with this type of use there is no need to install a tank - yes or no??

Cheers

Steve

What is better to go for..

A Compressor with 1.66CFM and 100% duty cycle or..

one with 2.54CFM and 33% duty cycle.

Use is just for airing up tyres and ARB diif locker/s

Also I assume that with this type of use there is no need to install a tank - yes or no??

Cheers

Steve

What does 33% duty cycle mean? 1 minute on 2 mins off? 1 hour on 2 hours off? Will it pack up after 5 mins continuous use?

If it will run long enough for your purpose I'd go for the 2.54 CFM one as it will do your tyres quicker.

I wouldn't bother with a tank.

Hey Steve,

get out,find a Sanden (cheap) and create your own OBA system,

it has been talked a lot.

This way you'll have the best of both worlds (save money/pump lot of air).

:)

Steve, as RB says above, there is no standard for what 33% duty cycle actually means. If you are running larger tyres, I would suspect that it will overheat - particularly if you need to do more than one.

Even though the 100% delivers less air, you can rest assured it will not let the smoke out at some inconvenient moment.

If you can run a reservoir, I would! You don't really need to for what you have in mind - but they do give you lots of air delivery (all be it briefly) if you need it. For example putting a tyre back on the bead or running your rattle gun.

Also, for things like your ARB's, you have pressure on demand without having to wait for the compressor to build up enough to engage the locker.

On my 110, I used my spare tyre at 60 psi as a reservoir! Not enough for rattle guns but good for most other stuff - and you can guarantee it will be pumped up when you need it!

Si

I bought a max air compressor while is Dubai for £80, like the ones TBR sell for £200+VAT. TBR Link

That was after seeing one inflate 4 285 tyres and then two 7.50's in the time it took me to inlate my other two 7.50's with an ARB compressor, that was approx from 10psi to 30psi.

The duty cycle isn't 100% but it says it can do 40mins work at 24°C before the thermal cutout kicks in. That should be enough to inflate two set of simex from 10psi to road pressures.

Haven't really used it in anger since getting back, just the odd bit of air in my leaky 110 tyre.

Mine is the 400P, although IIRC it was branded as a Bushmaster Max Air or something like that. I wanted portable as I plan on fitting an OBA system with the air con pump that's currently sat on a shelf in my garage, eventually :unsure:

I'd have brought a few more back but luggage allowance was already stretched to the limit.

200 quid ??!!

The same air compressor is available here under a couple of different brand names. I picked up one from Supercheap Autos (commonly known as Supercrap) for A$179 with a two year replacement warranty, and then they reduced the price to A$149 a month or so later.... :huh:

anyway, $179= 75 quid, $149= 63 quid ;)