Get him in the end!

Cartman

Jolly good! He deserves every thing he gets

Maybe he'll get chucked out and lose his pension too!

Strangely there does seem to be one rule for police and another rule for everyone else these days!

Back in the late 80's i was also in a position to "Familiarise myself" with a Celica GT4 which my boss had Kindly lent me along the same road M54 at 2.30am i however couldnt get it past 147mph though!! :D and whilst driving from Wolverhampton to Cosford at that speed it was all i could do to keep the thing on the motorway never mind in one or the other of the two lanes!

I must add in my defence i used to be a little reckless plus there were no other cars on the road ! Now driving a defender i dont get the same urges for speed!

Interestingly his deffence states that the officers must find out what their vehicles can and can-not do,

You only find out what it can not-do by loosing it and at 159mph you would take out a lot of other motorway users, is this acceptable? I think not!

Copper should keep his job

Police force should be penalised on the whole for condoning it though.

Lara.

Jolly good! He deserves every thing he gets

Maybe he'll get chucked out and lose his pension too!

Strangely there does seem to be one rule for police and another rule for everyone else these days!

Back in the late 80's i was also in a position to "Familiarise myself" with a Celica GT4 which my boss had Kindly lent me along the same road M54 at 2.30am i however couldnt get it past 147mph though!! :D and whilst driving from Wolverhampton to Cosford at that speed it was all i could do to keep the thing on the motorway never mind in one or the other of the two lanes!

I must add in my defence i used to be a little reckless plus there were no other cars on the road ! Now driving a defender i dont get the same urges for speed!

So its okay for you to do it but not a trained police driver. Hmmmm!

Log

Our Police need to know what their vehicles are capable of & they need to train in real conditions, hoofing around a racetrack in a traffic vehicle for a few hours would give the information about the vehicles capabilities but wouldn't be the same as during a pursuit or on a 999 call.

& would the result from this case apply/affect all the other blue light users ie fire/ambulance/mountain rescue.

Our Police need to know what their vehicles are capable of & they need to train in real conditions, hoofing around a racetrack in a traffic vehicle for a few hours would give the information about the vehicles capabilities but wouldn't be the same as during a pursuit or on a 999 call.

& would the result from this case apply/affect all the other blue light users ie fire/ambulance/mountain rescue.

The Ambulance service are only permitted to do 20mph over any limit in an emergency, 60 in a 30 would see them booked! my bosses misses has just done an ambulance driving course so have this on good reference

I don't have a problem with this officer doing what he did, it's the fact that he just went and did it without informing/asking a superior officer first. Other police officers have to bo told to use 'blues and two's' don't they, so why not him as well. The fact that he's a high quality pursuit driver doesn't exempt him from the procedure that all officers have to follow.

Les. :)

Other police officers have to bo told to use 'blues and two's' don't they, Les. :)

Not all of the time. Appropriately trained officers have the discretion to use speed when they feel they need to. I say speed because on some responses lights and sirens are not appropriate. I can tell you that after this case went to court, West Mercia's driving policy was seriously altered!

Not all of the time. Appropriately trained officers have the discretion to use speed when they feel they need to. I say speed because on some responses lights and sirens are not appropriate. I can tell you that after this case went to court, West Mercia's driving policy was seriously altered!

Ben

Please explain to me that a police officer no longer has to comply with the law regarding speed limits,he can now speed for the sake of speeding above any speed limit can he???

I've always understood that a police officer has to comply with speed limits UNLESS he has a reason for not complying.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

my reasons for driving faster is that - I am usually running late for something and I just like driving quick in the other halfs motor..

Does that mean I am alloud to now? :)

ps- I think there be nothing wrong with the speed he was driving, at that time of night. Its not as if he crashed or caused an accident is it - so let it be.

My reading was that it was anything but okay for AJL to do it, and he didn't see that it was a great deal safer with a police driver behind the wheel...

Yes Geoff, It was far from OK for me to do what i did! Particularly as at the time i would've only been 19 with limited driving experience; young, reckless stupid and in charge of a high performance car for a week.... makes me shudder thinking back on it now. I think I got off lightly really although after i gave it back to my boss it did need new brake disks and pads front and rear (it was however 3 months old!) :blink:

Ah the pleasure of driving maintenance inclusive lease cars!