Wheel nut thread size?

I am pretty sure it isn't the same thread as a normal M16 nut that you would buy from a hardware store, I am not sure what they are but I am sure they are coarser than wheel nut thread. It wouldn't matter as long as you get nuts and bolts to match, but if you use proper wheel studs you could use ordinary wheel nuts to retain the wheel to the carrier and that gives you some spare nuts in an emergency :)

I am pretty sure it isn't the same thread as a normal M16 nut that you would buy from a hardware store, I am not sure what they are but I am sure they are coarser than wheel nut thread. It wouldn't matter as long as you get nuts and bolts to match, but if you use proper wheel studs you could use ordinary wheel nuts to retain the wheel to the carrier and that gives you some spare nuts in an emergency :)

Well my taps and dies are ther same as the nuts in that size.

The Land Rover wheel nut is larger AF then a ordinary 16mm nut.

mike

Hands on experience seems to be winning the prize here. I can't comment from a Defender aspect as I don't have one to look at.

I thought I might be able to confirm the alternative by checking an Engineers Data book that is slightly more modern than the Tech Archive's 1976 Zeus tables ... but no.

A thread gauge might be the arbiter. Some people may be able to substitute a steel rule, steady hand, and sharp eyesight.

ISO Metric Coarse shows that a 16mm diameter thread has a pitch of 2mm.

ISO Metric Fine has four different pitches listed, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 mm.

You see why a gauge is useful.

Whether one of these is a 'preferred' thread is anybodies guess.

Follow Mikes advice, and send him a Jaffa cake, whatever, if it all works out OK!!

Cheers

Thank you David. Somethingfor this nasty cold would help.....

I've just remembered the standard 16.. nut size is 19mm AF.

Those sizes are throughout the series Three, 90 / Defender, Discovery up to and including the 300Tdi and the Classic Range Rover.

mike

Hands on experience seems to be winning the prize here. I can't comment from a Defender aspect as I don't have one to look at.

I thought I might be able to confirm the alternative by checking an Engineers Data book that is slightly more modern than the Tech Archive's 1976 Zeus tables ... but no.

A thread gauge might be the arbiter. Some people may be able to substitute a steel rule, steady hand, and sharp eyesight.

ISO Metric Coarse shows that a 16mm diameter thread has a pitch of 2mm.

ISO Metric Fine has four different pitches listed, 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75 mm.

You see why a gauge is useful.

Whether one of these is a 'preferred' thread is anybodies guess.

Follow Mikes advice, and send him a Jaffa cake, whatever, if it all works out OK!!

Cheers

:huh::unsure: cipx2 has already answered Green Bobs question correctly - M16 x 1.5

Thank you David. Somethingfor this nasty cold would help.....

I've just remembered the standard 16.. nut size is 19mm AF.

Those sizes are throughout the series Three, 90 / Defender, Discovery up to and including the 300Tdi and the Classic Range Rover.

mike

Mike,

The AF size of an ISO M16 Nut/Bolt is 24mm (19mm is M12), LR wheelnuts are 27mm AF - but you already knew that :P

Paul.

cipx2 has already answered Green Bobs question correctly - M16 x 1.5

Paul.

Yes, but I was trying to establish if it was a standard Metric Fine or a standard Metric Coarse thread, so that Green Bob (or anyone else) might be helped to source a nut / bolt of the correct pitch. When I found there were several Fine Metric threads I thought the information worth sharing.

Sorry if it was information you didn't need / can't use.