ZF auto box inhibitor switch

Ben Jordan

Over the last couple of days it would have been useful to be able to override the inhibitor switch on my Range rover classic auto so i could of started it in gear. I know that this can be done by fitting a switch, now all i need to know is HOW??

Is it just a case of the inhibitor switch being under gear selector and taking it out of the circuit by fitting a switch in parallel that when closed lets the gearbox think its in park??

I have done a search and looked in the technical archive but to no avail.

Yes you just need to wire another switch in parallel. This is exactly what I have done on the ZF I've just put in a 90. On the front nearside of the gearbox box near the gear change mechanism is a cable with a round round 4 way multi connector, 2 of these wires are for the start inhibit switch and the other 2 are for the reverse switch. Can't remember the colour codes for these, best check a suitable wiring diagram. Exactly where they then go in a RRC I couldn't say but in my 90 I wired them between the ignition switch and the starter relay along with an over ride switch in parallel.

You will fail the MOT if it starts in gear so Fridgie's suggestion would need to be reversable or bypass-able come MOT time.

Why would you want to start it in gear out of interest?

I went for starting in gear ONLY with your foot on the brake but out of gear without foot on brake.

Bish. If you want to resart in a hurry do you really want to be fumbling into neutral and then into gear? I prefer to be able to turn the key and have it work. The ideal example is a failed hillclimb.

This may be over-complicating things, but if you connected a relay to the brake light feed that switched in and shorted the inhibitor wires then you would have a car that only started in Park OR when you had your foot on the brake.

May still want an over-ride switch for the MOT though...

• 12 years later...
On 2/2/2006 at 7:59 AM, Mark90 said:

Yes you just need to wire another switch in parallel. This is exactly what I have done on the ZF I've just put in a 90. On the front nearside of the gearbox box near the gear change mechanism is a cable with a round round 4 way multi connector, 2 of these wires are for the start inhibit switch and the other 2 are for the reverse switch. Can't remember the colour codes for these, best check a suitable wiring diagram. Exactly where they then go in a RRC I couldn't say but in my 90 I wired them between the ignition switch and the starter relay along with an over ride switch in parallel.

Something of a resurrection but I've just sorted out the reversing light switch on my '86 RRC ZF auto.

The green wire is the reverse lights live feed from fuse 13 & the reversing light switch connects it to the green/brown wire which goes to the reversing lights.

The other two wires are the start inhibit.