Won't accelerate

v8bertha

Morning all, :)

Jumped in the freelander this morning (2ltr L series diesel) to go to work. Engine started and idled fine. But then as I started to drive up the hill it lost all power. It still idled fine and would rev up ok. But tried to pull away again and it wouldn't rev at all unless I dipped the clutch :huh:

Ain't gonna be able to have a look at it until next week now, but anybody got any pointers about where to start looking?

Cheers

Dan :)

Ok... just got home and had a little test. The symptoms in more detail are:

Start engine fine, idle fine, revs fine. Clutch in, engage gear, still revs fine. Let clutch out without giving the engine any more revs, and then try to accelerate it just stays at idle. If I dip the clutch and blip the throttle, it revs up, re-engage the clutch it will then pull fine as if nothing is wrong. Once up to speed and changing through the gears the same is true, if the engine is at idle speed when the clutch is engaged, it won't accelerate. Wierd!

Now, something else I've noticed aswell now that its dark... all the brake lights are on if I put either the side lights or headlights on. However, they are not at full brightness, i.e. if I depress the brake pedal they get a smidgen brighter. With the lights off the brake lights work as you'd expect. Could this be related?

Is the 2lt L series fly-by-wire that could be shorting something out or is there a good old-fashioned throttle cable in there somewhere?

Thought... If the HDC were stuck on somehow, would that put the brake lights on?

Any help greatly appreciated as I'm gonna have to run the 110 until its fixed.... mucho £££ :unsure:

Cheers all

Dan

Have a look at the diesel section on here lots of info, sounds like a wire broken in the engine harness which is quite common.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/forumdisplay.php?f=104

www.tuning-diesels.co.uk is handy too! Try: http://tuning-diesels.com/Lseries/faults2.htm or http://tuning-diesels.com/Tuneam/tuneam.htm

PS, I don't like the colour of yours, Dan.

Cheers

Blippie

Cheeky sod... ain't nowt wrong with my photo-graphing ya know

Anyway, you are right, there is a short between the 2 filaments meaning that when I put the side lights on, the brake lights also came on. This in turn tells the ECU that you can't accelerate because your foot is on the brake.

Clever stuff init... But I think I prefer uncomplicated stuff like Defenders!!

D :-)

• 4 weeks later...
FFS, a 25 pence bulb causing all that trouble ...

Cheers

Blippie

Yup :blink::lol:

When I get the baby-poo coloured one on the road, I'm gonna test it by putting the bulb in that one, see if I get the same problem (if I can keep it safe that long!!)

D :)

Our LBPB is tucked up nice and warm in our new garage for the winter. Mother in law is making a nice cosy cover for it out of the old red velvet curtains that were in our house when we moved in.

Barking!

Can't wait to see your LBPB on the road. I think ours could tell each other some stories.

Cheers

Blip