Automatic gearbox cooler

Eddie

The biggest you can afford! Autos cannot be over cooled and suffer badly if they get to hot.

Remember that behind the cab there'll be no ram air effect so an electric fan would be a good idea.

There are a couple of quite recent threads that a search will find for you too.

I wonder if Dave would be so kind as to post his thoughts here as i also have an auto box in the d-lander with one of his compushift systems but currently no cooler as it needs plumbing it and the standard one doest fit!!

I've planned to use an electric fan but would this need to be constantly running or on some sort of thermo switch? Is that right that you can't overcool an auto???

when i spoke to Dave about mine the impression i got was you can over cool it, but overcooling wont kill it overheating will.

anyone know the MPN or where you can get those thin td5 auto box coolers from such as the one suggested here?

I expect it would need a fan - I know Mark90 had a 32(?) row cooler with a 9" fan on it on his bulkhead behind a 4.2 V8

Yep, the cooler was about a foot square, mounted in front of bulkhead above bell housing. The fan kept it cool, running all the time off road, and also had the added benefit of drawing hot air out of the engine bay through the gearbox tunnel.

when i spoke to Dave about mine the impression i got was you can over cool it, but overcooling wont kill it overheating will.

anyone know the MPN or where you can get those thin td5 auto box coolers from such as the one suggested here?

when I got my stage 1 from ashcroft It was recommended that I install 1 of these , I did and have had no problems

summit racing 139$+ shipping. it arrived faster than uk post.

post-892-1228948488_thumb.jpg

What model did you buy defcol?

Hi Smo

it was a 16 row one :

DER-15800 Derale Electra-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers

Oil Cooler, 10 in. x 12.5 in. x 4 in. Cooler, 10 in. Fan, -8 AN Male, Kit

Today 149.95$ shipping i think was 50$

I then went to local pipe place to get some decent pipe, and fittings for switch. cost good as dam it £100

local parts place for temp switch around 94/97 deg opening cost £9

Defcol

post-892-1229037392_thumb.jpg

post-892-1229038095_thumb.jpg

post-892-1229038111_thumb.jpg

post-892-1229038124_thumb.jpg

post-892-1229038170_thumb.jpg