Best paint for home spraying

marsie

While i am rebuilding my 90 i am going to give it a respray.

So what would be the best paint for spraying at home/work.Want something hard wearing,quick drying and easy to apply.Dont have full extraction equipment but workshop is well ventilated :(

Ta

Paul :)

Have a read of this about coach painting. It may seem low tech compared to spraying but the gallery shots show that the results can be first class.

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

hi,i tryed tekaloid paint a couple of years ago on a series 3,great finish,i used a small roller(NOT the foam type)this leaves bubbles,also i put can into warm/hot water,to make it run a bit smoother,hope this helps..

mmm :huh: i had a go at brush painting a car a few years ago but didnt have the patience to get a decent finish so i am going to go with spray painting,question is do i use cellulose,acrylic or 2 pack?

Paul :huh:

Have you got a source for the paint ?

mmm :huh: i had a go at brush painting a car a few years ago but didnt have the patience to get a decent finish so i am going to go with spray painting,question is do i use cellulose,acrylic or 2 pack?

Tempted to say that if you haven't got the patience to brush then you won't be better off spraying.

My 2p worth:

Cellulose is ok but plenty of things can go wrong, blooming etc. Not very durable.

2 pack gives off cyanide so not suitable for home use.

I have had the best results using acrylic.

Have you got a source for the paint ?

last time i bought the blue for my doors i went to a place in rotherham.I got a 5 litre tin of Lechler cellulose which went on fine,got a good finish but a couple of weeks later i did an event and where the mud splattered the bodywork it ate into the paint :( spoiling the whole panel??

Tempted to say that if you haven't got the patience to brush then you won't be better off spraying.

My 2p worth:

Cellulose is ok but plenty of things can go wrong, blooming etc. Not very durable.

2 pack gives off cyanide so not suitable for home use.

I have had the best results using acrylic.

Had experience spraying in the past but on commercial vehicles that arent gettin dragged through trees every time out :rolleyes: but have only had mediocre results with brush painting.Never used acrylic except using rattle cans but that would cost me a fortune,how easy is acrylic to put on with a spraygun and how quick does it dry

I've always used Celly - you can get anti-bloom thinners for it. You still need good ventilation and breathing gear though. When I sprayed my rear tub/sides/roof, I made a big temporary tent in my back garded out of those blue plastic tarpaulin sheets you buy from the likes of B&Q.

Les.

The reason I asked if he had a source for the paint was that I've always bought paint from the local trade supplier. For years they've supplied paint in just about any form, mixed in the shop to match whatever colour/finish you want. They'd even put it in an aerosol for you with a decent nozzle.

Last time I went in there I was told they'd had to stop selling it because new legislation has made it illegal to spray vehicles with cellulose or 2 pack that isn't water based. This was further confirmed when I contacted other suppliers in the area. They could supply water based 2 pack but you can't really use that without an oven.

The only way around it at the time was to order the paint for industrial rather than automotive use but the rumour was that trading standards and the environment agency were cracking down on that avenue.

If the situation hasn't changed since then then it may be better to find a source for the paint first as you might be limited by what is available.

Isocyanate 2k car paint DOES NOT CONTAIN OR GIVE OFF CYANIDE. This is a popular and often quoted myth that has been doing the rounds since 2K came into use in the mid-70's. See page 8 of http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/web33.pdf

Due to changes in EU legislation to do with Volatile Organic Compounds it was illegal to sell non-compliant auto refinishing paint in Europe from 1.1.2008 so the manufacturers no longer import it into Europe.

Solid colours can be bought as 2k, you add the hardener to the paint, thin as required & spray. Usually 2 coats with a flash off period between.

Metallics/pearls are applied as a colour coat (now waterbase) followed after proper coverage is achieved & the water has been flashed off by the use of hot air blown over the panel by the application of usually 2 coats of clear lacquer. The lacquer is 2k. Some one-pack lacquers are still available but these lack the durability of 2k.

Whatever you are spraying you are strongly advised to wear appropriate respiratory protection.

There are numerous paint suppliers on ebay & some do still appear to be supplying cellulose/acrylic solvent based materials. Whatever paint you buy it is important to get the Technical Data Sheets as these give you the info as to correct mixing, thinning, gun air pressure, gun fluid tip size and health & safety info.

BTW I am not the Paint Man referred to in an earlier link. I do SMART repairs as a business.

' they'd had to stop selling it because new legislation has made it illegal to spray vehicles with cellulose or 2 pack that isn't water based. This was further confirmed when I contacted other suppliers in the area'

Overheard a similar conversation in my local Auto paint shop the other day.. but when I enquired (as I was in there getting cellulose matched for my LR) the manager told me the legislation only applies to 'commercial' painters and he'd be fine supplying to me as 'DIY'.

Might be worth re-checking your supplier on this basis..

I use hammerite smooth. It can be mixed with other hammerite colours to get something other than the bland colours on offer. I use cellulose thinners for thinning, actually its gun cleaner I use. You dont get a nice showroom finish but it is good enough for a challenge truck and it is easy to patch up. It dries in 15 minutes.

Isocyanate 2k car paint DOES NOT CONTAIN OR GIVE OFF CYANIDE. This is a popular and often quoted myth that has been doing the rounds since 2K came into use in the mid-70's.

BTW I am not the Paint Man referred to in an earlier link. I do SMART repairs as a business.

Apologies paintman, both for spreading the cyanide myth and for confusing you with someone else.

got it from rotherham vehicle refinishers.Got 2L paint,1L hardener and 5L tin of standard thinners and a twin filter charcoal respirator mask and altogether it cost £65,paint itself was £19 per litre.Upto now done bonnet,both doors,rear bulkhead,cab rear panel and screen surround and have used about 2/3rds of paint.Cant remember brand

Paul :blink: