WOLF air intakes

Aubrey

Just a quick word, if i may?

Most British Army Wolfs are going (or have been) to the Gulf. Where possible, REME will to fit a raised air intake and obviously, remove these covers, therefore they can be found discarded in skips, around most bases in Germany!

Try next year at Sodbury's and you'll pay about a £iver for a pair!! And please remember that you need a pair or they are USELESS

• 3 weeks later...
Why would you need a pair? I only have a hole in one of my wings. More to the point, what do they really do? Are they a labyrinth so that most of the muck drops out before the air gets to the filter? or are they something more involved?

Will someone please answer this question before more people get ripped off!!

Log

Will someone please answer this question before more people get ripped off!!

Log

They are air intake baffles - one for each side of the vehicle.

The "Wolf" or Defender XD effectively uses a militarised version of the 300Tdi engine. The air filter is fitted with two intakes plumbed in via a "Y" type connection - the idea being that air will always take the line of least resistance and therefore if one intake is submerged, the engine won't pull in water and be damged by hydraulically locking.....

The standard civilian spec defender has one air intake - left or right depending on which engine it's fitted with (200 / 300 Tdi or Td5) etc

How much use the wolf style intakes are in practice, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Matt

in std form they work OK for the dunking one side etc, they dont filter anything though, theres no mesh etc.

they don't account for dunking both sides!!!!

You can fit two to a civvy def and plumb in the twin pipes and Y piece. or fit two to balance it.

they dont seem to reduce perf/mpg

they are been ditched and replaced with snorkels to reduce the sand/dust problem rather than the water issue.

in std form they work OK for the dunking one side etc, they dont filter anything though, theres no mesh etc.

they don't account for dunking both sides!!!!

You can fit two to a civvy def and plumb in the twin pipes and Y piece. or fit two to balance it.

they dont seem to reduce perf/mpg

they are been ditched and replaced with snorkels to reduce the sand/dust problem rather than the water issue.

manufacturer

these guys actually make the vents, I must confess, I have both the vents and snorkels on my wolf, snorkels for dusty conditions, and vents for wading, I think on our wolf, they make a redundant system somewhere, allowing greater resistance to water intake. (they intended these wolves to become a catamaran at one point)