Placing a roll cage

I'm seriously thinking in terms of an external cage AND an internal hoop - the point is that high vehicles like these turn over more easily and should be correspondingly stronger to cope with that fact.

In respect of how the roll protection is fastened to the chassis - clearly, the mountings will deform on impact; is the chasis area strengthened to cope? - anyone rolled with a cage? - how did things deform? is some diagonal bracing needed? (it's not really there with an external cage unless you have a truck cab)

I think that bwould have to be custom built, as the internal and external systems would share the same mountings. I can't see there being much of a strength advantage in having two cages either - as long as you have a well made cross braced cage, it should take the wight of a roll without the need for a back-up. remember, the more of this tubing you fit, the more likely you are to roll in the first place.

Yellow,

How fast were you going when the blow out happened?

I was doing around the speed limit, 70kph, and the road just beyond the pics is actually quite bendy.

I just came out of a left handed bend, where the nearside front tyre blew out, and I had to keep out of the ditch I was steering towards, when all of a sudden the vehicle corrected as well, and putting one and one together, I ended up like on the pics.

My wife was stunned as well, after overcoming the initial shock, as she knows I do not like speed (hence my choice of vehicle) and keep to the limits of law and vehicle.

As for the accident, the owner of the fence I wrecked told me that I was the third one crashing through it, so it is a trouble spot. It was just a misfortune regarding the car, but I am enormously relieved that I was able to crawl out and have minor damages.

I have contacted P&P and Richards, and will start dismantling the vehicle this weekend to see if I need a new chassis. If so, the parts will be sold separately. For the body, I am looking for a replacement, preferably an early 110 SW with lift-up handle doors. The cage will be added, as per SWMBO, and trust me, I will obey!

Is it necessary to cage a whole lenght of a 110, would a front cage be adequate enough ?I think it should provide a pivot and still ptotect the middle seat occupants. Maybe only having it on the front part would reduce the weight ?

Perfectly acceptable, you will always have a driver, but will you always have passengers??? Its just a case of thinking about your usage of the vehicle and then deciding if you really need the rear protection offered by a full cage.

Just make sure it has an internal hoop with braces if you go frontal only.