Output drive flange nut

gorgeous george

I nearly dropped my gearbox back into the series 3 today after a very drawn out rebuild but remembered I had one last bolt to do up which requires a torque wrench.

The output drive flange nut on the front of the output shaft requires a torque setting of 85 lb f ft. Trouble is with my gearbox all together except for this one nut I can't tighten the nut that tight without making the whole shaft spin no matter what gear it's in.

Was i supposed to tighten this up before refitting the front output shaft? how should this nut be tightened?

frontoutputshaft.jpg

post-1409-1228975236_thumb.jpg

I nearly dropped my gearbox back into the series 3 today after a very drawn out rebuild but remembered I had one last bolt to do up which requires a torque wrench.

The output drive flange nut on the front of the output shaft requires a torque setting of 85 lb f ft. Trouble is with my gearbox all together except for this one nut I can't tighten the nut that tight without making the whole shaft spin no matter what gear it's in.

Was i supposed to tighten this up before refitting the front output shaft? how should this nut be tightened?

frontoutputshaft.jpg

Have you tried putting it in 4wd, and using a bar and a couple of bolts on the rear output flange..held by an "assistant" whilst you tighten the front. Altenatively i believe you can select two gears at once on the main box, if you remove the gear lever.

• 7 months later...
Hi

To add to this question. i have removed the handbrake and rear output flange to change the oil seal. but i can't find any torque settings for the refitting

of the output flange nut ? help please

Anders

85 lbs. (11.75kgs)

Todd.

Why not do up the handbrake adjuster tight - then leave it on a high spot between clicks while you tighten the output flange nuts? - Usually works when I do it.

Its much easier to do with the box out of the vehicle as you have to fit the split pin.

Torque setting is 85 lb ft for both output shaft nuts and 100 for the castellated nut at the back of the mainshaft. I can't find this figure quoted in the official manuals but is what is quoted in the Fairey overdrive instructions.