Viscous fan - is this right ?

Stu2985

Yes, a V8 with a stuffed or no viscous will overheat. The strange thing is that owners never suspect the viscous and are often surprised when their overheating problems instantly disappear with a new unit. We changed at least three in the last month. The warmer weather also catches those with failing viscous units out.

I am waiting for mine to fail - it is about time at 270k kms and 13 years old.

• 3 weeks later...
My TD5 has just had a new thermostat fitted and had a seized viscous fan replaced and it still takes about 10 miles to warm up and even then the heater only blows luke warm air through!

Try leaving the fan off for the first one or two miles. Give the engine chance to heat up. Ours warms up in about 3 miles this way.

The reason it runs so hard once you've started is to do with the fluid inside the Vicous coupling. Oddly this fluid inside actually gets thicker when it warms up (to a point), thus engaging the coupling and spinning the fan at a 1.1:1 ratio. Problem comes when its cold, where the oil is also sticky, it runs for a few minutes when you turn it on because the coupling is engaged - relying on the friction, caused by a few minutes of running, to warm it to operating tempreture where it thins out and disengages the fan (albeit not completley).

Ultimately a very reliable and efficient system, if towing a couple of tons across the Sahara, in sand, 1st low, with a trailing wind is your thing! In this case, engine doesn't get hot, I'd know I tried..!

Uk winter though doesn't quite justify the cooling capacity of a TDi's cooling system (if in good nick), take it off (put it back in summer?) and keep it, and the bent 32m spanner you need to remove it, with you in your car..!

: )

i've removed the vc on my disco 300tdi, been off for a couple of weeks now, no issues, if anything the temperature varies on driving now. a mates defender has had his vc off for over a month now, no issues at all, and his is tuned, allisport intercooler etc. very quick for 300tdi!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have mine off for a couple of weeks now and apart from some hotter smells coming into the cab I'm pretty sure it runs and picks up speed much better - much more lively and tourqy.

I have had a tank of V Power diesel on trial too but pretty sure it's the lack of drag on engine thats giving the better response - on going - but it's in the boot alongside the spanner!!

Can't really say that it warms up any quicker tho as she's always warm after about 3 miles.

One question of concern is that if you were to go for an upgraded inter-cooler (too expensive for me) that provides greater power and torque through improved cooling - won't this be negated if the fan is not there? The inter-cooling rad is not that big and so does it not need the fanned assistance?