Brake pad warning.

Les Henson

I fitted new rear brake pads to a 300TDi Disco yesterday. The owner was complaining of a 'funny rubbing/grinding noise sometimes', and the brakes felt as though they were binding (the motor wouldn't roll down a hill in neutral and hand brake off).

The rear pade were very low, and the inside passenger side pad was as you see in the picture. It was also part-way out of the caliper after bending the retaining pin in an attempt to exit from the caliper body. The metal backing was jamming between the rusty lip of the disc and the caliper body.

Surprisingly the disc is in reasonable condition still.

It just goes to show - once you hear the grindin/ feel the roughness through the pedal, it could already be too late.

med_gallery_2_28_217124.jpg

Les. :)

We get quite a bit of that here - in the winter the muck on the unsurfaced roads around the islands will wear out a new set of rear pads in less than the service interval if the vehicle is regularly used on those road! So people driving around with horrible scraping noises is quite common, it amazes me how unobservant so many drivers are - when I can hear them coming at about 400 yards you would think the person sitting on top of it would notice!

Did a neighbours Isuzu Trooper (I'll wash my mouth out now) the other day.

The rear caliper slide had seized causing the inner pad to wear rapidly.

It wore through the material and the backing until it fell out and the caliper piston was touching the disc! :blink:

He only noticed the funny tinkling noise of the pad backing rubbing between back plate and disc as he turned corners :huh::ph34r:

I changed the front brakes on the disco this week. One side was fine, but the other side the pad had slid round the disc enough to only be in contact with one piston. There was metal to metal wear on the disc, which was deeper than I was comfortable with so I ended up changing both discs and both sets of pads!

Incidentally I have yet to drive the disco further than onto the trailer and off it again! It is currently recovering from major sill surgery, and undergoing a rotten-floor-ectomy. :huh:

Cheers

Mark

I fitted new rear brake pads to a 300TDi Disco yesterday. The owner was complaining of a 'funny rubbing/grinding noise sometimes', and the brakes felt as though they were binding (the motor wouldn't roll down a hill in neutral and hand brake off).

The rear pade were very low, and the inside passenger side pad was as you see in the picture. It was also part-way out of the caliper after bending the retaining pin in an attempt to exit from the caliper body. The metal backing was jamming between the rusty lip of the disc and the caliper body.

Surprisingly the disc is in reasonable condition still.

It just goes to show - once you hear the grindin/ feel the roughness through the pedal, it could already be too late.

med_gallery_2_28_217124.jpg

Les. :)

Got his money's worth out of those pads :lol::o

We get quite a bit of that here - in the winter the muck on the unsurfaced roads around the islands will wear out a new set of rear pads in less than the service interval if the vehicle is regularly used on those road! So people driving around with horrible scraping noises is quite common, it amazes me how unobservant so many drivers are - when I can hear them coming at about 400 yards you would think the person sitting on top of it would notice!

Is this why the rears tend to wear out before the fronts? I have removed all my 'mud guards' as they tend to fall apart anyway. Do you reckon this wll make pad wear greater? Although my front pads have been there for over 100k and the rears for 60k and they all look unworn so far. But I am always 'good' on pad wear, on any car.

Yes, rears wear out first and inside pads wear out before outside pads. Always the inside rear pads, can be down to the metal backing while the outside rear pads are still 2/3 left. Many people buy a set of pads then just change the inside ones then change the inside ones again when they wear out again leaving the original outside pads then change the whole lot as a set the third time!

Removing the guards probably doubles the pad wear rate here, I did it once on my old red 90, a set of pads evaporated and I put the guards back on quick! We have the same problems with the stupid tin guards breaking up (my D2 has done the same even though they are a much better design) but without them pad wear is huge.

I remember when we got a new company vehicle about 4 yrs ago, the first 2002 on the fleet with the "new improved rear brake pads" (for which read "a bit thicker")

Came back for the 1000 mile first service with no inner pads left on the back.... (this was mid winter and the roads were especially bad, but even so....). Some people using non genuine pads on older vehicles were reportedly wearing them right out in about three weeks!