Would I Get Pulled For No Front Bumper

Mean Green

I need to do some repair work to my front bumper, but it will need to be off the car for a few days to allow me to do it.

So, is a front bumper a legal requirement?

If I have the chassis rail end protected by an A-bar, am I likely to annoy Mr Plod?

My front number plate could be mounted either on the roof rack or inside the window for the few days that the bumper would be off.

I would guess it's a distinct possibility knowing how some would rather go after soft targets. I can't recall there being a specific article that refers to this but it would probably come under "construction & use" section for the bumper there will still be edges from the wing & grill lower closing plate edges that normally fit under the bumper.

The number plate is a certainty, it must be flat, within specified distances from the extremities (don't have the details to hand) and permanently affixed. I nearly got done once for having the front plate velcro'd on, managed to convince the kind gentleman that the reason for this was for easy removal when offroading to keep it clean & prevent damage thereby preventing an infraction when returning home rather than for nefarious practices officer ;) .

Hasn't Stephen got a spare lying around? You are welcome to borrow the ARB one on the project for as long as you need it, it's only on with two bolts at the moment, takes two to lift it though, do not try doing it yourself :blink:

Niall,

Thanks for the offer of the ARB. Would certainly look the part, however I am not sure that the front springs are up to the weight! (plus if I start taking bits of the project who knows where it will end - you will come back to a pile of bits on the floor :rolleyes: )

I might have a rake aroung Stephen's "Parts Dept" - he might have one spare, but to be honest it is only likely to be off for a couple of days - I am in the process of making the spoiler "quick release" for offroading, but managed to sheer the bolts on the bumper, so need it off to grind them out. Plus if it is off it might as well get some paint and one of the bars that hold the end caps is not looking to clever so it might need a small weld.

Depending on the condition when I get it off I might just replace it - I know Andy has a few at the moment.

Greg

What makes you think I would notice the difference :blink:

I have a front bumper somewhere but not sure if it's readily to hand so I won't send you looking.

Solid the ARB is, another good reason for EAS.

The nuts on the stays are only tack welded on at the back so are very easy to shear off, I think the thread is 3/8" UNF if I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember it's the same as the seatbelt mount bolts.

Getting serious about this then, I thought this one was ment for a daily driver & the defender for offroad forays, can't B/S me :rolleyes:

What makes you think I would notice the difference :blink:

I have a front bumper somewhere but not sure if it's readily to hand so I won't send you looking.

Solid the ARB is, another good reason for EAS.

The nuts on the stays are only tack welded on at the back so are very easy to shear off, I think the thread is 3/8" UNF if I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember it's the same as the seatbelt mount bolts.

Getting serious about this then, I thought this one was ment for a daily driver & the defender for offroad forays, can't B/S me :rolleyes:

No the RR is the offroader and the Defender will still be the daily driver... unless of course fuel prices here continue to rise, then the RR on Gas will become the daily driver!

But then again.... the RR is really too nice to "waste" .... oh I dont know!! :rolleyes:

At the moment the Defender is dead anyway, so it is academic!

Simon, Thanks for the offer - if you want to donate it to the cause then I will gladly accept it! :D Anything else you want shot of?

I dont suppose either of you have a spare ECU lying around that I could borrow? I still can't get it running right!!

Simon ,

It is a 3.9.

What i really need to do first is swap out the ECU to determine if that is where the fault lies. If so then I might be interested in buying it.

As for the bumper, I will take it off your hands anytime.

Might try for this weekend, but hoping to fit the gas to the Rangie and need to help Steve with Nic's 90 rebuild, so that it is ready for the forest drive on Sept 11th.

Will let you know. (If you happen to see Steve, dump it on him and he will bring it to me :) )

Why is the Defender dead at the moment?

Andy

www.landroverheaven.com

Andy,

The Defender clutch went, plus it was starting to leak a lot of oil.

Also I was given a standard 200tdi 110 to drive for a couple of days and I suddenly realised how lacking in power my 90 was in comparison. So all these things together point to a strip and rebuild.

So I think the Defender will remain as the everyday driver and polisher, while the RR will be the toy. Although the way fuel prices are going the RR might see a lot more action.

So as soon as the Rangie is running properly the Defender will get the TLC is deserves.