Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

:unsure: I did travel somewhere in Africa for my hols and saw many-a-defenders-90-n-110s! Was amazed. :unsure: And they look preddy (pretty) new too! I simply opened my mouth in awe :o ! I managed to ask a couple of fellows if someone could sell me their Landy. I got to hear that some of the boys get them stolen B) from the UK and ship them to Africa! I got shocked! Most likely one place to start searching is the docks that ship these fenders? :( Si more grease to your elbows at getting them. B)

that is weird. Defenders are very rarely stolen in South Africa!?

:blink: Hello.. In South Africa from the tales we hear, people have the laws in their own hands. A thief caught could be burnt alive!! No kidding there.. No paper works!! Full Jaki Chang action- No time to regret your deed!! ;) I have done many tranfares around Africa on duty and you bet thieves really suffer for their deeds. I witnessed a man ablaze :o:o

:blink: Hello.. In South Africa from the tales we hear, people have the laws in their own hands. A thief caught could be burnt alive!! No kidding there.. No paper works!! Full Jaki Chang action- No time to regret your deed!! ;) I have done many tranfares around Africa on duty and you bet thieves really suffer for their deeds. I witnessed a man ablaze :o:o

yeah... and there are elephants and lions roaming in my backyard :)

Guest diesel_jim

That should be introduced here. Would save the police a lot of paperwork, and send a good message out to would-be tealeafs.

Same for kiddy fiddlers too.

And if they were innocent, well, they shouldn't have been doing something suspicious to give people reason to think they're guilty then! :P:P

Most of you who have done trips south of Morocco probably know this point in the no mans land between moroccco and mauritania.

post-2925-1229590968_thumb.jpg

It's a "used" car dealership, which because it's in no-mans land is completely unregulated. You go there, place your order, two weeks later your desired car turns up. You can then get it registered in Mauritania for a small fee, and import it to wherever you like.

Not disputing that that pikies are responsible for every crime within miles of them and their justification for genocide IMHO

In this current climate and very poor resale on 4x4's some people are tempted into doing insurance jobs out of desperation especially in rural areas.

on the flip side you would have thought that the poor sales of parts would drive the price of second hand parts down enough to make the risk of dealing with stolen parts not worth the aggro.

Well to actually reply to Si's origional question i can offer the following info which has happened to both my truck, and my mates who lived nextdoor.

In both cases access was gained by cutting the rubber seal around the small window to the left of the rear door and the glass was then removed allowing a hand to be passed to the inside to unlock the back door from the inside.

Mine was also broken into by literally forcing the front doors open, as its not possible to open a series rear door from the inside.

In both cases they attempted to steal the vehicle and we found steer shrouds etc broken and wiring ripped apart. Both thefts were foiled as both vehicels were well immobilised, with simple things like rotor arms removed, wiring to coils, fuel pumps etc left disconnected, and battery isolators removed. We were aware that there was a problem in the area, so the trucks were never left in an "operational" state.

I've now moved house so dont have the problem any more. My mate has bought a sodding great wheel clamp and now leaves his truck wheel clamped which so far as solved the problem.

HTH

Jon

• 1 year later...

SOME WHEN IN THE LAST 3 DAYS 2 X DEFENDER 90'S HAVE BEEN SLOLEN FROM OUT YARD IN HERTFORDSHIRE

ONE WAS A REFURBISHED 300TDI VAN WITH A XS INTERIOR 6 SEATS WITH A CUBBY BOX, ON A B REG THE COLOUR BLUE

THE OTHER WAS

A UNREFURBISHED 2.5 DIESEL 90 STATIONWAGON WITH A BULL BAR, ROOF RACK AND LIGHT GUARDS.THE COLOUR BLUE WITH BLACK DOORS AND BONNET.

post-6136-126253979286_thumb.jpg

Please could siwhite clarify the position of the Police in this GREY area. I've discussed this with a few coppers in the past, and they dont seem to understand the words 'stolen vehicle', they say 'its not stolen, its been TWOC ed'(taken without consent) and they would be unwilling, should they come across this vehicle during their shift to even call it in, as the paperwork involved is lengthy, and then, once they've called it in, they have to remain with the TWOC ed vehicle until it's recovered,which could be hours, when they COULD be out there catching criminals. Mine was stolen,about 3 years ago and to be fair kent police were quite good, and it was recovered about 5 miles from my house about 2 months later, BUT this vehicle was being used for ferrying stolen goods back from london, I was getting parkimg tickets after it was stolen. Why cant traffic wardens have an ANPR camera on thier hats, then vehicles would flag up as 'stolen'

SOME WHEN IN THE LAST 3 DAYS 2 X DEFENDER 90'S HAVE BEEN SLOLEN FROM OUT YARD IN HERTFORDSHIRE

ONE WAS A REFURBISHED 300TDI VAN WITH A XS INTERIOR 6 SEATS WITH A CUBBY BOX, ON A B REG THE COLOUR BLUE

THE OTHER WAS

A UNREFURBISHED 2.5 DIESEL 90 STATIONWAGON WITH A BULL BAR, ROOF RACK AND LIGHT GUARDS.THE COLOUR BLUE WITH BLACK DOORS AND BONNET.

That's worrying. Where abouts in Herts is your yard?

Please could siwhite clarify the position of the Police in this GREY area. I've discussed this with a few coppers in the past, and they dont seem to understand the words 'stolen vehicle', they say 'its not stolen, its been TWOC ed'(taken without consent) and they would be unwilling, should they come across this vehicle during their shift to even call it in, as the paperwork involved is lengthy, and then, once they've called it in, they have to remain with the TWOC ed vehicle until it's recovered,which could be hours, when they COULD be out there catching criminals. Mine was stolen,about 3 years ago and to be fair kent police were quite good, and it was recovered about 5 miles from my house about 2 months later, BUT this vehicle was being used for ferrying stolen goods back from london, I was getting parkimg tickets after it was stolen. Why cant traffic wardens have an ANPR camera on thier hats, then vehicles would flag up as 'stolen'

When a vehicle is reported stolen, it will be recorded as a "theft of motor vehicle." If the vehicle is found and recovered, the crime is amended to a "taking motor vehicle without consent." This is due to the definition of a theft (whether car or not): Theft is the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another, with the intention to permanently deprive." Once the car is found, the "permanently deprive" bit is no longer valid, as the owner now has the vehicle back. It is all down to Home Office Counting Rules (which are really interesting... :blink:).

If an officer comes across a stolen vehicle and fails to call it in, then I would say that is a dereliction of duty. I may be mistaken, but the only paperwork I can think of would be a short statement by the PC detailing the find, a short statement off the loser, sign a bit of paper for the recovery agent, and possibly write a note on the crime report. Many forces have an office in each area who deal with most of the paperwork associated with what is commonly referred to as "volume crime."

With regards to traffic wardens, when they were employed by the Police, they would've checked the vehicle status, but as most of them are council-run, I believe they are only entitled to certain information from the DVLA to enable them to collect the unpaid fines.

When a vehicle is reported stolen, it will be recorded as a "theft of motor vehicle." If the vehicle is found and recovered, the crime is amended to a "taking motor vehicle without consent." This is due to the definition of a theft (whether car or not): Theft is the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another, with the intention to permanently deprive." Once the car is found, the "permanently deprive" bit is no longer valid, as the owner now has the vehicle back. It is all down to Home Office Counting Rules (which are really interesting... :blink:).

So, assuming I stole a Landrover, does my 'intention to permanently deprive' no longer count if the car is recovered? Of course (hypothetically) I intended to permanently deprive.

IIRC, TWOC was devised as a means to 'do' the scrotes who only ever intended to 'joyride' the cars they stole, in other words, theft could not be proved as they never had the 'intention to permanently deprive' to rightful owner.

Chris

a suffolk land rover club member had an m reg 110 stolen the other night,don,t know what security it had fitted,had winch,expensive roof rack,bfg mud tyres,i beleive they removed the small window in the back panel to access the door lock,go to www.slroc.com,then click on the forum,listed in general chat.

a suffolk land rover club member had an m reg 110 stolen the other night,don,t know what security it had fitted,had winch,expensive roof rack,bfg mud tyres,i beleive they removed the small window in the back panel to access the door lock,go to www.slroc.com,then click on the forum,listed in general chat.

This one?

So, assuming I stole a Landrover, does my 'intention to permanently deprive' no longer count if the car is recovered? Of course (hypothetically) I intended to permanently deprive.

IIRC, TWOC was devised as a means to 'do' the scrotes who only ever intended to 'joyride' the cars they stole, in other words, theft could not be proved as they never had the 'intention to permanently deprive' to rightful owner.

Chris

Yes and yes*

*I think. I don't deal with the ins and outs of crime recording, just trying to remember some training from the mid 90's...

Chris

Chris, totally correct. Without getting too theoretical, the little scrote's intention has not changed - the police have just done a better job than him! The crime is identical...

The addition of a dead lock would may this much more difficult