Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

Just seen this thread, Can I tell a story then ask Mr Trafic Policeman what can be done?

Recently I was driving along a road long straight road with lots of 'hidden' dips I had a lady from work with me and I spotted a car coming up fast behind me, well several cars behind me. it nearly hit two or three with poor overtaking then clipped me (not in landy thank god) then proceeded at speed to do the same to other before disappearing very fast past a flashing 30mph sign on the edge of the village.

The girl I was with was as livid as i was and got on her blackberry and emailed the 'bad driving reporting thing' for our police (Sussex) they came back and thanked us and said the vehilce was 'unregistred.'

This is a major loophole, the car was not nicked, so whoever sold it had told DVLA but whoever bought it gave duff info or no info at all, I cannot understand this major loophole has never been filled.

this guy can drive around with no tax/mot/insurance/nicking fuel/partaking in crime until he either gets caught red handed or crashes?

the police told us they could do nothing until he happens to 'bump into a police car' is this right?

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it makes me livid.

What is needed to prevent this from happening is that people follow the rules. When a person sells a car, it is his responsibility (legally) to tell DVLA. That means checking who they are selling the car to and sending the paperwork off to DVLA with the required information.

Chris

I believe that failure to notify change of keeper attracts approx £60 fine (don't think you get points), so not much of a deterrent.

If you ever sell a car, ALWAYS send off your part of the V5, that way even if the buyer forgets/can't be ar$ed to send of their part, the DVLA know that the car is no longer yours. They send out a letter to confirm this, so if you don't get one, chase them (I've usually received mine within a couple of weeks).

Can i ask a question that is sort of connected to stolen LR's ??

I am looking at building up a LR from parts, and a quick perusal of Ebay and the like quickly turns up hords of Defender and Disco bits. Does anyone have any idea how much of this stuff might be stolen, and is there any way of telling if it is ???? I'd hate to fuel the thefts of someone's LR to fuel my build, even unknowingly!!

Oh yeah, and on the previous posts subjects of being hit by unregistered cars etc, what we need is the gov to stop spending money on stupid speed cameras (that only measure velocity and rely totally on a valid car ID to work) and get some more police officers onto our roads and steets!!!

That is a lovely idea but people that are prepared to drive uninsured, tax and mot less are hardly going to worry about a form or two are they??

The current scheme does rely on the seller of the car being an upstanding member of the community.

Do you have a proposal to improve the current scheme? Micro chipping people perhaps? Tattooing NI numbers to the backs of people's heads? How would you solve the problem?

Chris

Well GBMUD I could tattoo something but it would not be on your head, what a pleasant fellow, The USA system where plates are changed each year might do it, not sure how that works, but relying on honesty in any trade is nuts, in the motor trade insane.

The current system relies on both buyer and seller being honest, it does not work (as this case proved) work if only one side is honest now does it?

Well GBMUD I could tattoo something but it would not be on your head, what a pleasant fellow, The USA system where plates are changed each year might do it, not sure how that works, but relying on honesty in any trade is nuts, in the motor trade insane.

The current system relies on both buyer and seller being honest, it does not work (as this case proved) work if only one side is honest now does it?

Am I detecting hostility?

Are you suggesting that people in the motor trade are dishonest? That seems unfair!

Actually, the current system only requires the seller to be honest, and to check his facts. If the buyer cannot prove his credentials the seller need not sell to him.

The USA system? What does that prove? That the car gets a new plate annually - just as each car in the UK gets and MOT, insurance and tax disc annually? Now you have fallen into your own trap! :P

As for the tattoo, do tell. :)

Chris

1, No hostility

2, Tattoo? you do the math

3, USA system I think they have a different colour/type each year so obvious to everyone with eyes that the car has no tax/mot etc -I am sure someone can confirm this, the police would not even need a computer, you could of course forge plates I guess, so no I have not fallen into any trap mine or otherwise.

4, Motor trade dishonest................Surely not!

5, the weak link in selling is the seller checking his facts of course

6, er that's it.