Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

My landy was recovered by the police, and returned, the people who stole it only wanted to drive off-road and the like so i don't think it was ever destined for breaking? After i got it though the previous owner had rung me at a little past midnight one night to let me speak to the police who where at his door because it had been as abandoned at my address because of the poor condition it was in :lol: The officer asked me if i wanted to have it removed from my property?

On another note, my other half works for the police, they have recently aquired a Defender from either some unlawful person using it for unlawful gain or bought from an insurance company after the owner has been paid out, we have around where I live what used to be an excellent area for off-roading, but unfortunatley it has been abused by people taking stolen trucks and bikes up there and also some of the people that do own the trails bikes do make a nuisance of themselves before they get to the course, so back to the defender, the force was given a budget of £5000 to purchase said vehicle and improve its performance and off-road ability to be able to sort out the unwanteds at the course, so this vehicle is now back up and running again and will remove the problems and we will again be able to use the land properley? So a story of a Defender that is helping the police to get rid of unwanteds and hopefully catch the CHAV's that steal them?

What worries me is the huge difference in the number of Landies stolen, and the number recovered.

Can't blame chavs for that. They must be going out of the country.

Chavs get bored easily, so when the novelty wears off, or they run out of fuel, they'll just dump it. It'll then get recovered.

But you simply can't dump hundreds of Landys and leave no trace of them. They're being stolen professionally to serve overseas orders in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

My landy was recovered by the police, and returned, the people who stole it only wanted to drive off-road and the like so i don't think it was ever destined for breaking? After i got it though the previous owner had rung me at a little past midnight one night to let me speak to the police who where at his door because it had been as abandoned at my address because of the poor condition it was in :lol: The officer asked me if i wanted to have it removed from my property?

:D A story of hope indeed ... no sign of mine ... probably dispersed in bits at the Newbury Jumble ... put the £4.5K I got from the insurers into this post-1134-127144561049_thumb.jpg

:D A story of hope indeed ... no sign of mine ... probably dispersed in bits at the Newbury Jumble ... put the £4.5K I got from the insurers into this post-1134-127144561049_thumb.jpg

Well i asked a sparky mate of mine this question, if any of you can tell me how to make it work brilliant,he said no(but he isnt from Del'Monte) simple maths? 1 car battery = 12volts x 10 = 120, so 20 batteries should give 240v out?, so my idea is to carry 20 batteries and wire the truck up, more simple maths, you break in = instant death (risk of the job?), how cool is that? other than that i am looking to park my landy near a street light and hook the alarm/deterent to the national grid even better results :ph34r:

Well i asked a sparky mate of mine this question, if any of you can tell me how to make it work brilliant,he said no(but he isnt from Del'Monte) simple maths? 1 car battery = 12volts x 10 = 120, so 20 batteries should give 240v out?, so my idea is to carry 20 batteries and wire the truck up, more simple maths, you break in = instant death (risk of the job?), how cool is that? other than that i am looking to park my landy near a street light and hook the alarm/deterent to the national grid even better results ph34r.gif

huh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif Lol

Came across this on the Wiltshire Police website - looks like an organised gang are at work;

Wiltshire police have seen a recent increase in the theft of Land Rover Defenders across Wiltshire but predominantly from rural locations. Some of the vehicles have been recovered burnt out, but others have not been located.

The vehicles being stolen are predominantly L, M, N and P registration plated vehicles, which were all manufactured prior to immobilisers being factory fitted as standard.

Sergeant Andrea Faircloth from the rural crime team said: These types of vehicles are relied on heavily by members of the rural and farming communities, therefore these thefts are not only inconvenient but they also disrupt their livelihood. The rural crime team would like to hear from anyone with information regarding these thefts.

The Wiltshire Police Community Affairs Department have issued the following advice:

Secure your vehicle at all times, even when parked up outside your home

If you dont have any security features built into your vehicle, invest in some additional ones. Make sure the products conform to British standards, a good start would be to have a look at the Sold Secure website

If you cannot park your vehicle in a garage or behind closed gates, park your vehicle in a well lit area in the curtilage of your property, preferably in an area where it is overlooked

Having a full tank of fuel provides thieves with more opportunities

Make sure your number plates are clean and easily visible, this makes it easier for police to spot it if stolen, and for witnesses to clearly see it if it is seen in suspicious circumstances

Always report anything suspicious as soon as possible

The rural crime team are based throughout Wiltshire and would like to hear from anyone with any information relating to these or any crimes, they can be contacted on 0845 408 7000 ext 723548 or ruralcrimeteam@wiltshire.pnn.police.uk, or if an incident is in progress dial

I also saw a police report from South Oxfordshire saying there had been 8 stolen in the Vale since Xmas!!

Yesterday I get a hand delivered letter from Salisbury Plod through my letter box which had the exact same advice wording, so it looks like there is still a "problem".

Mine now has yet more security features added to it...