200tdi tappetty noise ... help

My 200tdi started sounding a bit tappetty about 10,000miles ago. At first it only seemed to be when the engine was hot and towing a heavy load and pulling out of a junction and high revs etc etc so i obviously just ignored it.

Its been getting slowly worse, to the point where it now sounds like its going to self destruct at about 2500rpm.

I have checked the valve clearances but have become stuck as the noise sounds exactly like a mk1 fiesta tappetty noise.

Only every happens when the engine is warmed up.

Any ideas please

I would say valve clearances and valve caps (a little cap that sits on the top of the valve). During a trip to Italy this year, we had two vehicles (both 200tdi) that caused us problems - one self destructed ripping a rocker bolt from the head and bending the shaft, the other threatened to do the same (sounded like a tractor, had no power). I believe both were down to clearances you could drive a bus through, and a couple of caps missing-presumed-disintegrated.

My 200 Tdi did the same thing, sounded just like loose tappets but the adjustment was spot on. At the time I had a fuel heater fitted to run on veg oil, but was running on diesel. I removed the heater and the noise disapeared.

Based on my experience I would say it could be the injectors.

I would say valve clearances and valve caps (a little cap that sits on the top of the valve). During a trip to Italy this year, we had two vehicles (both 200tdi) that caused us problems - one self destructed ripping a rocker bolt from the head and bending the shaft, the other threatened to do the same (sounded like a tractor, had no power). I believe both were down to clearances you could drive a bus through, and a couple of caps missing-presumed-disintegrated.

Valve clearances are fine and i've got a full set of caps, although i didn't remove them to check for wear.

My 200 Tdi did the same thing, sounded just like loose tappets but the adjustment was spot on. At the time I had a fuel heater fitted to run on veg oil, but was running on diesel. I removed the heater and the noise disapeared.

Based on my experience I would say it could be the injectors.

Fuel injectors should be good as they have only done 15,000 miles.

Interested though that you removed the fuel heater and the noise disapeared. Can't get my head around how that could be.

It does seem a little guttless so unless you were experiencing fuel starvation... Can this cause this kind of noise ????????

Fuel injectors should be good as they have only done 15,000 miles.

Interested though that you removed the fuel heater and the noise disapeared. Can't get my head around how that could be.

It does seem a little guttless so unless you were experiencing fuel starvation... Can this cause this kind of noise ????????

Diesel needs to be cool, if it's too hot apparently it loses its lubricity. Thats what I was told anyway. Wer your injectors new or reconditioned?

Diesel needs to be cool, if it's too hot apparently it loses its lubricity. Thats what I was told anyway. Wer your injectors new or reconditioned?

Injectors were new not just recon..

Today i replaced the fuel lift pump and found that the old one was u/s.

Now goes alot better but still got the tappetty noise. Only happens when the engine is at full temperature. Even if i stop the engine for 2 mins and then go again it is fine till it gets fully hot.

Its much worse after along hill climb.

My 200tdi started sounding a bit tappetty about 10,000miles ago. At first it only seemed to be when the engine was hot and towing a heavy load and pulling out of a junction and high revs etc etc so i obviously just ignored it.

Its been getting slowly worse, to the point where it now sounds like its going to self destruct at about 2500rpm.

I have checked the valve clearances but have become stuck as the noise sounds exactly like a mk1 fiesta tappetty noise.

Only every happens when the engine is warmed up.

Any ideas please

How many miles has the engine done?

also is it more of a clacking noise?

Recently a friend of mine had his 200tdi over revved at an MOT and he suddenly had a really bad clacking noise.

he said it wasnt using any oil either, and was not losing any power, just clacked really loudly.

We stripped the head and checked all the clearences and the injectors and they were all fine.

It turned out to be one of the little end bearings.... :o

Just a thought....

Grant

How many miles has the engine done?

also is it more of a clacking noise?

Recently a friend of mine had his 200tdi over revved at an MOT and he suddenly had a really bad clacking noise.

he said it wasnt using any oil either, and was not losing any power, just clacked really loudly.

We stripped the head and checked all the clearences and the injectors and they were all fine.

It turned out to be one of the little end bearings.... :o

Just a thought....

Grant

Its more of a ticking that a clacking although noises are a bit of a funny thing. it sounds just like a mk1 fiesta, all tappetty.

I took the lid off the engine again to make sure i havn't done anything wrong or missed something. All the rockers are really loose and i'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. Maybe my rocker shaft is worn ??

I set all clearances to 0.20mm as stated by haynes. Is this correct?

After setting to 0.2 i noticed that the rockers had no resistance at all to move. They could be pushed the final .2mm with a feather. Is this normal cos i seem to remember most engines have a small amount of resistance when shifting them.

Am i still barking up the wrong tree ?