what type of steering box should i have ?

I have a 1985 landrover 90 im just wondering what type of steering box i should have on it , ive been told there are two types 3 bolt and 4 bolt ?

I dont have the car at the moment as ive just taken delivery of it and has gone into storage as im on the hunt for parts

no problem, Please add your location [county & country] to your profile just to give other members who may live in the same area & you may get some help locally & please read the #new members' info pinned at the top of the Defender forum thread list :

I'm a relative land rover virgin and my steering box is leaking, so when I started looking out for a replacement I discovered that the one fitted to my defender 90, was not the original, nor the type fitted in the factory. The one in my car is a 6 bolt Gemmer steering box and at a land rover show in the summer, I was chatting to a guy on the Adwest stand and he informed me that Adwest supplied all the steering boxes for defenders at that time (1991) and that the Gemmer was an aftermarket replacement.

It made me realise that just because it is fitted to our landies doesn't mean it's original.

I have two 110s with the six bolt boxes, which makes me believe that Land Rover fitted these as well as standard, but that could have been on 110s only. Should you need one, I have one going 'spare' as I crashed one of the 110s. (Not as a result of the steering box going ape, mind you...)