Td5 not starting after aux belt snapped

sotal

I was being rather cynical there, LR did have the Loctite but they admitted that on some 1999 engines it was omitted or forgotten or whatever.

I must add that IMHO the oil pump arrangement on the TD5 is the most stupid I have ever come across on any engine.

This is what I think happened with the prototype engine on the test bed:

Engineer 1: Ok, start her up

Engineer 2: Here goes (Vroom vroom)

Engineer 1: The oil light is on! Stop it quick!

Engineer 2: OK

(1 hour later, the sump is off)

Engineer 1: Where's the oil pump?

Engineer 2: That was your job!

Engineer 1: I told you to do it!

Engineer 2: Ok, we need someone to design one quickly before anyone notices.

Engineer 1: I'll get the tea lady onto it right away. After all, she designed most of this heap of junk anyway...

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

My Discovery 11 is a 2000 model year, most pieces seem to be date stamped July - August '99. It came with a full Dealer Service History, (what a joke), so when I eventually found time I changed all the fluids and the clutch/flywheel (it had started to slip).

While I was under the car I took the sump off to check the Oil Pump bolt. It was fairly tight and seemed to have a trace of thread lock on it. Removed the bolt, cleaned the thread. applied a reasonable amount of Locktite and reinstalled.

It seems to be pot luck as to whether thread lock was applied to the bolt around this time period or not.

Regards,

Peter