TD5 Clutch noise

summersby

Hi All,

I have a 2000 TD5es with 112k miles, since 44k I have had an occasional screech from the clutch area whilst at half pedal (slipping) whilst reversing. It only happens at a particular slip point on the pedal, adjusting the pedal slightly will stop or start the screech, but it only happens first thing after starting for the first few yards. I have always put it down to the release bearing, but recently it has become more prominent so much so that the neighbours now know when I am going to work! I have noted that with the pedal fully down there is no noise from the bearing and am now wondering if it could be something else, as the bearing is working it's hardest under these conditions. This only happens first thing, and mainly in reverse, whilst slipping the clutch. Is there anything else that could possibly be making this noise??? I suppose that the bearing could be seizing under partial load and grinding away the fingers, but after this amount of mileage I would have thought that they would have ground away by now. Is it likely to be the DM Flywheel, or perhaps the input bearing in the gearbox? Although with the pedal fully down you can hear the gears slowing to a stop as you would expect, without any unusual noises.

Anyone got any ideas?? :(:(

Worn thrust bearings typically make a noise when your foot is off the pedal. Even light pressure stops it.

The flywheel doesn't screech, it usually knocks when it takes up drive.

Les.

hi mate mine does the same,first thing when cold,had a clutch last year and they told me the flyweel was worn, but i left if (cost) wish i had changed it.its the flywheel ,sometimes does the clutch pedal vibrate when you are in bad traffic ?

hi mate mine does the same,first thing when cold,had a clutch last year and they told me the flyweel was worn, but i left if (cost) wish i had changed it.its the flywheel ,sometimes does the clutch pedal vibrate when you are in bad traffic ?

No, clutch is smooth, never vibrate's. These cold mornings seem to make it worse, but usually in reverse only.

• 2 weeks later...

So!

Did the original poster find the cause of his noisy clutch. I have exactly the same problem on a 2002 td5. I've just had a new clutch fitted because it started to slip after having the ecu re mapped.

I had the noise before the clutch was changed, after changing the noise went away but after two or three months it's back.

Only when cold, once warmed up it's ok for the rest of the day.

Regards

RichardG

• 1 month later...
So!

Did the original poster find the cause of his noisy clutch. I have exactly the same problem on a 2002 td5. I've just had a new clutch fitted because it started to slip after having the ecu re mapped.

I had the noise before the clutch was changed, after changing the noise went away but after two or three months it's back.

Only when cold, once warmed up it's ok for the rest of the day.

Regards

RichardG

No, not yet, it is getting worse, but still disappears shortly after first use. I'm thinking that it's the spigot bearing, as it's the only bit thats turning whilst slipping the clutch, apart from the release bearing--which you can rest your foot on the pedal lightly with no noise. I have just changed a 300tdi clutch cos the fork holed, and was able to slide the gearbox backwards to give sufficient room to renew complete clutch assembly, can this be done on a TD5??

I'm not saying that the problem isn't clutch related, but in my experience the screeching sound is due to slack alternator belts etc in 99% of cases.

Julian.

This will be the odd 1% then, slack belts will screech with or without the clutch, and on revving the engine. But I do know someone who changed their water pump cos of a slack belt, of course the belt was adjusted properly for the new pump and the screeching stopped. Thanks for suggestion.

• 10 years later...
On 3/11/2009 at 4:52 PM, summersby said:

No, not yet, it is getting worse, but still disappears shortly after first use. I'm thinking that it's the spigot bearing, as it's the only bit thats turning whilst slipping the clutch, apart from the release bearing--which you can rest your foot on the pedal lightly with no noise. I have just changed a 300tdi clutch cos the fork holed, and was able to slide the gearbox backwards to give sufficient room to renew complete clutch assembly, can this be done on a TD5??

It was the spigot bearing, £1.