Axles

HI All.

Happy new year.

I plan to swap the tired 10 spline axles on my 90 with late TD5 items in the very near future. Before fitting them, I plan to strip them down, replace all seals and gaskets and re-grease the bearings. Do you think that this is necessary or is it overkill? Is there anything else I should do before fitting them?

New happys to all.

The axles .........

I guess it really depends on what condition they're in when you get them, obviously the diff oil, one-shot in the hubs and grease in the wheel bearings wouldn't go amiss but if they're late axles that have not been abused, excessive stripping down may just mean a lot of extra work for nothing and sometimes creates it's own problems.

Personally my money's in the "don't fix it 'till it's broke" camp (apart from regular lubrication changes.)

HI All.

Happy new year.

I plan to swap the tired 10 spline axles on my 90 with late TD5 items in the very near future. Before fitting them, I plan to strip them down, replace all seals and gaskets and re-grease the bearings. Do you think that this is necessary or is it overkill? Is there anything else I should do before fitting them?

For peace of mind i did this :) New stub axels, bearings and all the seals... Now i know everything is good.

Costs a bit of money, but i'd do it.

To be honest, if it's a decent td5 axel you'll probably be fine but i prefer knowing what's inside.

My 2p

G

Just a tip based on my experience when doing the same:

The front radius arms from your 90 may be narrower than the ones that should go on the Td5 axle. If I'm correct from 93 on there are 52mm wide and pre 93 are 47mm. So it's possible you will need the Td5 raduis arms also or use the old ones with spacers.

Fellers, sorry to bother you again but I've spent the whole afternoon scanning through this forum as well as others and found out that the hub nut setup on TD5 axles is completely different to earlier models and as a result is a complete pain in the neck. I've also found out that converting the setup back to the conventional type (2 nuts and tab washer) is very simple but requires a special socket (since it is not 52mm). I'm sure that this socket size is hard to come by where I'm from and even if it is available, it will not be cheap and I can't justify buying one if i'm going to undo the nuts just once in order to throw them away. My question is this. Should I go for TD5 axles or should I get 300 TDI items? What are the pros and cons of both types?

:unsure: If you have friends abroad sending the 52mm socket shouldn't be hard! If you really want the TD5 axle let someone get it sent to you. Off course after you have sent Cash + p&p.. I have friends in the Uk who send me parts the whole time. Alternatively you could go to a Fitters shop and explain the situation. Whenever I enter the shops with the defender, I find the "real and true men" patroling the truck and asking what I need... :lol::huh:

I have the 52mm socket (purchased it from difflock a few years ago). What I don't have is the 2 1/16" socket required for td5 axles. Since i'll be binning td5 nuts, i really don't want to buy a 2 1/16" socket to be used just once. I have too many tools with no use and promised myself that I'll stop buying useless tools. :P

I have the 52mm socket (purchased it from difflock a few years ago). What I don't have is the 2 1/16" socket required for td5 axles.

I used the same socket I have always used on Series, Range Rover and Tdi Defender when I removed the nuts from my Td5 axle, it fitted just fine. There is less than .5mm difference between 52mm and 2 1/16" - in short, they are the same.

Do the maths, there are 25.4mm in one inch.

Chris

requires a special socket (since it is not 52mm). I'm sure that this socket size is hard to come by where I'm from and even if it is available, it will not be cheap and I can't justify buying one if i'm going to undo the nuts just once in order to throw them away.

You need one of these hub nut box spanner these are other cheaper versions out there.

52mm-hub-socket2.jpg

Just done the same thing myself, although having bought from reputable breaker found drive form rust to the half shaft at front, wheel bearing grease having got wet caused rusting of the outer bearing, then found that the inner swivel hub oil/grease had failed and spread greaseinto the diff casing which is a real arse to clean out. :angry:

So I would recommend a cursory inspection to satisfy yourself on condition of lubricants and take dust caps of front hubs to make sure they're not full of rust. Decide from there how far you then want to go. :rolleyes:

I've been offered a set of axles off a 50th anniversary 90. Do these axles have any particular advantages apart from vented discs? Are the diffs 4-pin?

They will be the same as on a new 2.4 common rail 90, meaning that they actually have more splines on the half shafts as the wheels, these 'could' strip easier, other than that, they should be great as they are new...

I think you're referring to the 60th anniversary SVX. What I'm referring to is the limited run of 375 90s manufactured in 1998 for Land Rover's 50th anniversary. The atlantis blue ones powred by a 4 litre V8 and auto box.