Clutch Change for Beginners

Hello all - I am a keen but very amateur mechanic - and today my 1994 Defender 90 200TDi clutch release bearing gave a loud noise - and jammed me in reverse !!

Am now mobile again - but loud crunching on full depression of clutch - good thing I have short legs and don't fully depress the clutch when changing gear.

Is a clutch change something I should even think of - and is it engine out or gearbox drop?

If I go to a local landy garage what should I expect this to cost - !

have a read of these threads from our Tech Archive & carried out by members on here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4380

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6840

Please put your location in your profile as a fellow member may live in your area & be able to assist& have a read of the pinned thread 'new members' at the top of the forums thread listing, the info in it will help you use the forum.

have a read of these threads from our Tech Archive & carried out by members on here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=4380

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6840

Please put your location in your profile as a fellow member may live in your area & be able to assist& have a read of the pinned thread 'new members' at the top of the forums thread listing, the info in it will help you use the forum.

Thanks - I will spend tomorrow working out whether I should take this challenge on - the tech archives are really useful - is ther one which tells me how to get my hands clean enough to examine patients on Monday after operating on the Landy !!

I have hands like a bare knuckle boxer following changing my clutch and gearbox last week :)

The lesson I took away from doing mine is making sure everything lines up before trying to refit the gearbox, and also to allow more time than you think as mine took a good 2 days longer than I thought it would (although just a clutch change is easier)

is there one which tells me how to get my hands clean enough to examine patients on Monday after operating on the Landy !!

Use some Blue/Purple Nitrile gloves to protect your hands, they will split (many times!) so have a box handy!

Not sure where you work, but I find the sterile plastic brushes from the theatre scrub rooms are great with a generous helping of swarfega or similar!

Chris

(ICU Nurse)

I'm in PB if you need a hand with any of this if you decide to do it yourself. I've done a couple now - and if its just a clutch change, i suspect the way western describes may be easier than taking the whole box out.

The gloves are the best way to keep your hands clean - keep your fingernails cut really short as well! I'm one of the vets up at the Royal Vet College so have the same problem when i come to operate after a weekend working on the landy! Sugar and washing up liquid works a treat ot get most of the muck off and a stiff nail brush to clean up properly!!

As others have said use blue nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean (less inclined to split than latex) - it would be an exageration to say it has changed my life but definately a significant improvement. I get mine from Screwfix (branch in Welyn GC nearest you I expect) for £8.80 but a professional car spares outlet will have them too. Only thing to add is that the last box I had from Screwy is thinner than the one before so I've resorted to weaing two pairs.

i cover my hands in aqueous cream before starting work on my landy and always wear a pair of kevlar gloves (the type butchers wear - very thin so dont hinder fiddling with little bolts etc),

The kevlar gloves are fantastic - no - brilliant at stopping idiot knuckle and bolt rash. oil and grease get through the weave of the kevlar to some extent - but a quick squirt of wd40 and a wipe on a damp cloth remove the worst, followed by a scrub with some degreaser removes the rest. Come monday morning you cant tell i've worked on a vehicle at all.

having well moisturised hands prevents alot of the muck becoming ingrained into the skin so even if you dont wear gloves it makes cleaning your hands much easier.