Dakar

reads90

Just watching the dakar and Paul Green has rolled badly on the first day in his warrior . Car looks totlly nackered

they say his and his co driver are ok , Heres hoping.

Paul is a really nice chap who i have meet servial times and has done the Aussie Safari this year

Just watching the dakar and Paul Green has rolled badly on the first day in his warrior . Car looks totlly nackered

they say his and his co driver are ok , Heres hoping.

Paul is a really nice chap who i have meet servial times and has done the Aussie Safari this year

Hiya, I don't think he made it into the Aussie safari due to his car not arriving in time. His co driver went in on a bike and had a horrendous accident. (Hes still in a bad way i think). But it looks like Paul is getting on his way to recovery, now awake at least. Our thoughts go out ot Paul and Fiona and the rest of the family

Ok who has been watching.

Couple of things.

Wow looks bloody tough this year.

How much surrport do VW have, min of 5 hours service per car per night and each car has its own truck of spares and 5 mechanics :o

Hoping Gordon is going to win although would like a Diesel to win. But Gordon is a racing nut and knows more about his car than the mechanics. A real hands on Guy. Seen Vids of the Baja where he has pulled into a pit and jumped out and started welding his front shock or somthing up.

He Was talking about the air restricor on the Hummer engine ,where he said what it was doing to the engine, was like running a marthon whist breathing though a straw :D

Shame about the BMW getting disqualified . As they would have been nice to win as they were pretty much the only car in the top 10 where the slioete was of a car we see on the road

Ali

Real shame about Nasser Al Attayah & Tina Thorner getting disqualified....he was having over heating issues and decided to skirt around some large dunes instead of going through them. Apparently there are some hidden way points that must be included in the section or you face the penalty. I doubt that he knew the exclusion would mean disqualification though and was probably hoping for time penalties instead.

But rules is rules...a tough break for such a nice guy.

I haven't heard of Pauls progress in hospital...anyone know anymore yet?

Paul and his co-Driver were much more serious than Eurosport let on but Paul has now been moved but the co-driver is still on a ventilator to help his chest injuries recover....but I have only found this from trawling the news sites so please correct me if I'm wrong

Hello Rebecca I'm assuming your Paul's daughter I think I met you when Paul was telling me all about one of the other Dakar's he did in the Kitchen at his house a few years ago. I was collecting his Dakar Freelander.

Robby Gordon is a true competitor but he is 1 hour and 38 minuets down on the lead VW and he is in Fifth over all it would be grate if he can get on the podium but he has very little time to do it in.

Did anyone see the QT Wildcat rolled eight times down the side of a rocky hill and over a Shogun in the process. The driver and co-driver although very shaken up were out and walking around. The car apart from panel damage looked in relativly good shape.

Yep, it looked to be a valiant effort, he kept his foot in and tried to drive it out... looked as if he was going to make it and then found a steeper bit ;(

Good to see they were both OK though even if a "bit" shaken !

Later on they were showing them towing vehicles out of that valley, didn't see them pulling the Bowler out - they were a lot further down it than any of the others.

Robbie Gordon is the star of the Dakar (in cars at least) this year for me. When he talks about the car and the design ideas behind it, you get the impression that he's very much hands on with the car setup and design. It'd be great to see how fast he'd be if they took the intake restriction off :)

On Tuesday night they said Lopez had been taken to hospital with what sounded like concussion but no mention of him at all last night, anyone know if he's still in the rally ?

Watching that truck crabbing across the dune last night had my buttocks clenching, bet the driver was sucking up seat cover !

Yep, it looked to be a valiant effort, he kept his foot in and tried to drive it out... looked as if he was going to make it and then found a steeper bit ;(

Good to see they were both OK though even if a "bit" shaken !

Later on they were showing them towing vehicles out of that valley, didn't see them pulling the Bowler out - they were a lot further down it than any of the others.

Robbie Gordon is the star of the Dakar (in cars at least) this year for me. When he talks about the car and the design ideas behind it, you get the impression that he's very much hands on with the car setup and design. It'd be great to see how fast he'd be if they took the intake restriction off :)

On Tuesday night they said Lopez had been taken to hospital with what sounded like concussion but no mention of him at all last night, anyone know if he's still in the rally ?

Watching that truck crabbing across the dune last night had my buttocks clenching, bet the driver was sucking up seat cover !

Yep that truck was a little touch and go....

Robby's qoute about the restrictor on the Hummer's V8 "its like running the New York marathon breathing through a straw"

His farther was an engineer and racer , and Robbie follows after him and builds his own trucks to his ideas and designs. Very talented bloke all round.

Did anyone see the QT Wildcat rolled eight times down the side of a rocky hill and over a Shogun in the process. The driver and co-driver although very shaken up were out and walking around. The car apart from panel damage looked in relativly good shape.

The blokes in the Pajero were quite peeevd about being rolled on. :blink:

I have been really impressed with Robbie Gordon - it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I found out it's only a two-wheel drive vehicle, as there had been a comment about him having tyre inflaters on the wheels.

I have been really impressed with Robbie Gordon - it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I found out it's only a two-wheel drive vehicle, as there had been a comment about him having tyre inflaters on the wheels.

Yes only the two wheel drive's are allowed it they stopped the 4x4's having it years ago. but look at the size of the foot print on the of his tyres on the sand in comparison to the VW's.

but when he gets a blowout the beed lock holds the tyre on so it seems to end up ripping off the whole wing instead of just coming off before it shreds..Remember the speeds there going I think the Evo 3 held the record on 230 kph on stage

Hi there,

Please, find enclosed a link to posts from my friends of Land Rover Club Argentina and our forum in Chile

The post contains a series of links to other post with photos and footages of the Dakar rally.

The other one contains photos from the Chilean side

Some Bowlers are included also

Enjoy it.

http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic....mp;start=0

http://www.lrclub.cl/Foro/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=652

The blokes in the Pajero were quite Mildly miffed about being rolled on. :blink:

They should think themselves lucky it wasn't one of the trucks ! :)

Please, find enclosed a link to posts from my friends of Land Rover Club Argentina and our forum in Chile

Thanks for that Eduardo, love the pic of Robbie Gordon on the second link, it's now my desktop pic :)

It's great to see so many spectators on the Dakar, must be a real lift for the competitors to see all those people cheering them on.