Oil filter Stuck on!!

phil200tdi

Hi All

I have been changing the oil now for around 4 hours! Getting a bit Mildly miffed off as the oil filter wont come off...

Have used a couple of oil filter wrenches and have now even resorted to stabbing with a screwdriver and trying to lever it off that way - didn't work!

Anyone had this problem or got any tips?? Obviously the car is now immobile so no chance of taking it to a garage!

I have noticed that the housing where the filter sits is only secured to the block by 3 bolts, is there any reason not to take off the housing and place in a vice to remove the filter... Anything I need to be aware of doing it this way? Also if the thread on the housing is buggered any idea where I can get a new one and rough estimate of cost??

here is a photo I have found of the filterhousing.. Is there a proper name for this?

Cheers for the help

Phil

post-5949-1231073769_thumb.jpg

cant you get a set of stilsons in there?? i had to use a set to get the diesel filter off my mates crappy big horn the other day!!

Dont have any.. but I think the screwdriver would give more leverage - plus there isn't much room with all the fuel lines and steering linkages.. I'll try to get the housing out and see how it goes from there...

It will come off damn it!!

cheers for the replies...

Phil

I don't know what you're using but I assume the thing is either crushing or tearing rather than coming undone - if you can, grip something round the lip at the bottom where the filter meets the housing, as that's thicker metal. In case you don't already know, oil filters need only be done up by hand, which means they can also then be undone by hand next time.

Another suggestion is to wrap some abrasive tape round the end (the type used on non-slip steps, floors, boat decks, etc.) as that will give a very good grip.

I don't know what you're using but I assume the thing is either crushing or tearing rather than coming undone - if you can, grip something round the lip at the bottom where the filter meets the housing, as that's thicker metal. In case you don't already know, oil filters need only be done up by hand, which means they can also then be undone by hand next time.

Another suggestion is to wrap some abrasive tape round the end (the type used on non-slip steps, floors, boat decks, etc.) as that will give a very good grip.

Either the previous owner didn't know to do up by hand or he was a gladiator...

Have the housing out of the car now - took about 5mins to get out. Will have it in the vice tomorrow and see how stuck on it is...

Cheers for the help..

Phil

If its off I'm wondering if its in a warm place?

I had a similar problem with a viscous fan years ago, couldnt shift the nut so by the time I'd removed the bulk of it bought the new bits and went back to the nut to to start destroying it had expanded in the warm house enough to come off with no sodding effort at all.

Are you turning it the right way?

Maybe a silly question but it's well meant - wood for the trees and all that - after 4 hrs!!

:blink: following Paul N's comment stealthily. I once went the wrong direction and had to pay not only dearly but SUPER tightning the NUT. Clockwise to lock ..Anti-clockwise to unlock... Out of chest to unlock into the chest to lock!Dad always stressed on that... Am I wrong?

Dad was an office rat but in his old age became the best mechanic I know. ;)

After using chain wrenches, strap wrenches, screwdrivers etc etc I finally got one of these. It has never been beaten yet and is very versatile with the ability to use it with a spanner or a ratchet and extensions if required. I used it today on a filter which I put on hand tight about four years ago and really took some oomph to get off - I had to use a 10" bar to get enough torque on it, and although it crushed the filter, it didn't slip in the slightest. Unfortunately the rest of the job did not go so smoothly and saw me spill the best part of a gallon of hot oil on the drive (the container was split). Then drop the filter wrench in the oil - twice. Then drop the filter in the oil too and splash it on my face. Not the best of afternoons for me :(