High Ratio Transfer Box.

RobotMan

I have just pulled my Gearbox out and opened up the transfer box to find the helical output gear missing several teeth.

To repair it I just need a gearset not the full kit which includes the machined casing.

I was wondering if the gearing was taken from something else and used in this application rather than being purpose made which would seem to be prohibatively expensive. If so hopefully I should be able to get hold of some.

I'll ring Ashcroft's on Monday. Can't complain though as this tx box has been in for 14 years and seen much abuse.

post-3874-1231630249_thumb.jpg

post-3874-1231630286_thumb.jpg

post-3874-1231630323_thumb.jpg

I belive the bottom gear is the same as the top gear, but they bored it out to loose the splines, so all you effectively need is 2 standard input gears, one bored out and a standard middle cluster.

You should be able to repair it quite cheaply.

May i ask how did that Happen?? as i rarely saw broken series transfer cases........

Grem

I belive the bottom gear is the same as the top gear, but they bored it out to loose the splines, so all you effectively need is 2 standard input gears, one bored out and a standard middle cluster.

You should be able to repair it quite cheaply.

May i ask how did that Happen?? as i rarely saw broken series transfer cases........

Grem

I was suprised myself! I was fully expecting it to be a mainbox issue and I was going to swap this High Ratio transfer box across to my 'new' box. I have no idea, I suspect I have started a crack a while ago and then it failed on normal driving, or I may still find a fault when I strip the mainbox and that this has been like this for a while. It was infact still driving just fine but was making a horrible ratchet like noise on over run.

I'm missing it already and I have only done 5 miles on standard gearing! Might have to get an overdrive as a temporary measure. I reckon my engine would pull overdrive and high ratio as a proper overdrive ie once up to cruising speed on a motorway etc. Shame you can't use both.

I'll email Mr Ashcroft and see what he says. Hopefully you are correct and I can fix it for a reasonable price.