Fitting a 90 Truck Cab Roll Cage System

Thats not primer :rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r:

Looking good Nige, are you going to put the trim rings around the headlights to make the front look a bit smarter ?

I am going to shove some rings on the light (I think there wolf of Military somethingorother) when my mate remembers where he put

some he says I can have - I'm not fitting the ali sheet cover NOR supply where the indic / side are flush mounted as I think slighly sunken

as they are now will protect the lights :ph34r: but yes some rings would be good, I must now as I have remebered he hasn't found them ring him and remind him he has forgotten to find them

Basically you can see from the above statement there is little hope of fast progress :lol:

Nige

• 1 month later...

The original snorkel I made has been chopped about a lot at the back with 1mm cutting disks,

then 'pulled about' and re welded up / linished so as to follow the new NOR Hoops and Challenge wing lines,

I did use the LR last weekend, on entering deepwater I reminded myself that

a- it was F deep ...b- remembered I didn't have the snorkel, ...and c- mentally moved refitting

it to the top of the to do list :lol:

post-22-1237148822_thumb.jpg post-22-1237148828_thumb.jpg post-22-1237148835_thumb.jpg

From cutting and shutting it now fits, following the cage angles just needs a lick of piant and thats sorted

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started fitting the P&P cage tonight and I couldn't be happier.

The rear hoop fits brilliantly and follows the contour of the cab perfectly. the front hoop is also a really nice fit. Im well on with the chassis mounts now so hopefully some tube notching tomorrow and I can start tacking stuff in place. Will take the camera tomorrow and get some decent pics.

That does fit well :) invisible tubing there Steve ?

Was this a special order from P&P or there std kit ?

It will be very useful to have a fitting report and then pics of the finished articles from NOR and then P&P

for members thinking to chosse what they like / think will suit them best, odd that both 90s are now V8s,

and also Megasquirted :)

Nige

Thats coming on a treat Nige ,Nice tight fitting cage , I spose I better pull my finger out and make a start on mine . :huh:

Post up pics here, more the merrier

Whichever anyone chooses would be good, but boy does it save hours of labour and

the prices for both frankly, when you take the materials used, deter you even more from DIY cage making :lol:

Nige

P&P will make what ever you want out of tube , They even make a very nice +7" rear A Frame for 100" conversions .

Which I can confirm is very nice and 'kin strong if you specify T45 B)

I totally agree about off the shelf cages - they do save a lot of time and swearing. However, if you're building something custom then it's going to be a lot cheaper doing it yourself. One thing I did get after a couple of recommendations was Bend Tech Pro. One word: awesome! B)

Was this a special order from P&P or there std kit ?

It was a std kit as they had on Ebay (they do two, Large and tight fit. We chose the tight fit as the large ones are too prone to getting stuff wedged behind them and IMHO look too bird cage like. Then I spoke with Dan who was more than happy to add or alter anything we wanted. So we had a criss cross in the rear hoop rather than the diagonal which is std and a diagonal in the roof that will go right back to the point where the rear stay attach's.

odd that both 90s are now V8s,

and also Megasquirted :)

Nige

Nothing Odd about it, Surely there is no other engine worth fitting to a truck :D Must admit I love the V8, so much more responsive than a smelly tractor engine! :offtopic:

Well there was no progress last night for various reasons so I still have no pic's. Hope to get some tonight. As Jase and WIll say I also have the +7 A frame and its very nice. Mine is only CDS tho as Im too poor to get T45.

It was a std kit as they had on Ebay (they do two, Large and tight fit. We chose the tight fit as the large ones are too prone to getting stuff wedged behind them and IMHO look too bird cage like. Then I spoke with Dan who was more than happy to add or alter anything we wanted. So we had a criss cross in the rear hoop rather than the diagonal which is std and a diagonal in the roof that will go right back to the point where the rear stay attach's.

Nothing Odd about it, Surely there is no other engine worth fitting to a truck :D Must admit I love the V8, so much more responsive than a smelly tractor engine! :offtopic:

Well there was no progress last night for various reasons so I still have no pic's. Hope to get some tonight. As Jase and WIll say I also have the +7 A frame and its very nice. Mine is only CDS tho as Im too poor to get T45.

Well I've also seen the light as far as engines go. TBH I've always been a petrol head but I was too fond of wading. As you say, V8's are great but not all were created equal :P

Is that equal sized bank accounts for the fuel? :P

I'm not thinking about the fuel yet - I'm having enough trouble scraping the money together for the build! However, I'm resigned to single figure mpg if 'pushing on'. At the end of the day, you've got to burn fuel to get power and if you're putting down 'significant' power you'll be using 'significant' amounts of fuel to make it..... ;)

Fitted the main and front hoops with center roof bar first to get the height's as I wanted them. Then I fitted the diagonals (did this after fitting main hoop as I wanted to weld right round the tubes at the bottom of the hoop), Took a bit of fiddling until I was happy but it all went together nicely in the end with neat joints with no gaps. Really am pleased with both the finish of the bends and the fit of the cage.

Yer tiz!

DSC01109.jpg

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01112.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01120.jpg

The most time consuming bit was getting the rear stays to fit as there were quite a few awkward angle notch's close together.

Phonepic011.jpg

Phonepic012.jpg

Phonepic013.jpg

So that's it so far!

A few more bits, not very exciting.

Phonepic009.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

And is it stands when I left tonight. Tray supported in place for some stays to be made.

DSC01132.jpg

Also the CDS cuts much nices and welds much ,much nicer than the blue band I have worked with in the past.

The cage only needs the gutter bars and the roof diag then its ready for lifting back off to finish welding. Still got quite a bit of work on the tray and arranging the items to be carried.

I appreciate I'm sitting here in my armchair with a broken LR outside making comments but... why have you both gone for a cage with the bends in the main hoop to clear the wheelboxes? These bends will weaken the cage and you're both running a trayback, so no wheelboxes to clear.

I appreciate I'm sitting here in my armchair with a broken LR outside making comments but... why have you both gone for a cage with the bends in the main hoop to clear the wheelboxes? These bends will weaken the cage and you're both running a trayback, so no wheelboxes to clear.

Whilst it might make the hoop slightly weaker in design it is proven, and more importantly it takes the main loading straight onto thje chassis plates rather than an outrigger which would be needed for a straight hoop, and significantly weaker than a main chassis mount.