Galvanising a bulkhead

I've seen some discussion of bulkhead replacement and some people have had theirs galvanised before fitting it. Roughly how much does it cost to get this done?

Hello - I was quoted something over £200 by Gigglepin and have basically stalled since overall cost for me is almost value of the truck.

just keep hoping the next MOT tester has weak eyesight- is this a rolleyes moment?

chrisp

Hello - I was quoted something over £200 by Gigglepin and have basically stalled since overall cost for me is almost value of the truck.

just keep hoping the next MOT tester has weak eyesight- is this a rolleyes moment?

chrisp

I can't believe it got a ticket last time, there is no way it'll get one next time.

I've been trying to price up the different options for sorting my bulkhead out. The MOT is up in October so I have plenty of time but the truck willl definately fail on it's bulkhead. I have come up with these options:

Repair the bulkhead I currently have. This will involve removing the dash, headlining and wing on one side, as the pillar has gone and so have both top corners. Once I get the dash off I will probably find that there is loads of other rot that needs repairing. This will probably take as long as replacing the whole thing.

Replace the whole bulkhead. I may as well do this as it will take no more time than repairing the one I have.

If I replace the bulkhead, I could buy one with no rust on it, a galvanised one, or a bulkhead that needs some repair and then fix it and possibly galvanise it.

One without rust on that needs no work is going to cost about £150-300

A galvanised one is going to cost a lot more than this, series ones have sold for £900

A replacement that needs work will cost anything from £10-100

So I'm planning on buying a replacement one and repairing it in my garage then maybe getting it galvanised. This way at least I'll know it's sorted and I can take my time over repairing it whilst still being able to use the truck.

Hi

Prob not much, best bet is to ring your local galv place, they weigh it before and after galving and charge you based on the weight change, Its only £100-200 for a whole 110 chassis so a bulkhead will be much less, these were pre credit crunch prices though, BTW if you can give it to an engineering/fab firm and piggy back it on one of their orders it will be much cheaper...

Mike

This is something I'm considering at the moment too, I remember a mate of mine having one done years ago and he had problems with it buckling. It's a long time ago so memory may be a bit skewed but he was talking about getting another bulkhead and trying again but this time he was going to add some bracing bars to it.

Anyone had a Defender bulkhead galvanised and had problems like this or was it just down to the galvanising company he was using ?

If you can all wait about three weeks i am in the middle of adapting a new TD5 bulkhead to the old 90 bulkhead before galving.

Im recording all the differences (and there are more than just a couple!) so hopefully it will be of help to someone in the future.

I have also heard of the buckling and will be fitting some bracing to assist.

The new TD5 bulkead has been dipped in paint but I am going to get the galvers to shot blast it first and hopefully the galv process will burn off the remainder of the paint untouched on the void spaces.

Quote for galving was approximately £130-£200 plus the shot blasting.

Cheers

G :D

You can galvy a 90 bulkhead, seen it here many times and plan to do the same myself in the next year. The important thing is not to let the shop quench the metal in a bath after being in the galvy dunk tank. It has to air dry. Otherwise, the thin metal of the bulkhead will warp from the rapid change in temps.

So does a td5 bulkhead match up to a v8 bulkhead with auto? :huh: That's my big question...

Looks like this would be the answer to the warping problem

I had mine done years ago now, £100 and came out perfect. More importantly Still perfect. and distortation? no that i noticed. you have some flex anways in the bulkhead so by the time you have bolted everythin up she'll be fine. only problem i had was where the vent flap pins go through the filled up with Galv..... you could inform them to blow them out you'll be right then. bar that well worth every penny!

i'd have no fear to do another again....

I'm getting mine galvanised also. A friend of mine is making one good bulkhead out of two. My 1983 one, and a more donor. He told me the inner frame on the 1983 was looking much better than the later one. His explanation for this was that the later one uses more closed sections instead of open for the earlier one. So if water gets inside it's pretty hard to get it out.

A tip I've got from someone else was to brace the bulkhead on the chassis mounting points, so galvanising doesn't have any effect on this distance. He already got 4 bulkheads galvanised, and no major damage due to galvanising. To be on the safe side I'll bring mine to the same company as he did...

FWIW I got mine done, sub £100 IIRC and no issues with distortion. If I did it again I'd do a bit more prep like removing the vent meshes but more than happy with the galv process (more at risk of buckling from the forklifts and handllng)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
we use cardiff galvanisers. you can pay on credit card, they collect and deliver.

Just put a richards chassis on my 90 Defender and looking to get the old chassis repaired ( Rear crossmember ) and galvanised. Can anybody recomend a good place to send the chassis for galvanising and an idea of the cost. I'm in Birmingham so as local as possible, cheers for any help.

why not just fit a replacement bulkhead without galvanising? how long did the original last anyway? 20yrs?

i have just changed my bulkhead early version for a td5 for sole reason td5 one was cheaper. i got a complete td5 bulkhead which meant nothing needed to be changed on it, straight in fit even the T tunnel mounts were right. (they are two different types of mounting on the td5 fo the T tunnel) the other two i did both needed the td5 Transmission tunnel flange cutting off and holes being drilled for the existing transmission tunnel to fit.

after selling the old bullhead head complete and buy a speedo transducer for the td5 dash it cost me £150 to change.

Chaps,

Just had mine done and posted a few tips Here.

Its funny how things have turned around. I bought my TD5 bulkhead for about £300 two years ago which I thought was a bargain and felt a bit carp when I saw the same items sold for £200 on ebay. It appears that now you cant get them anymore as cheap and now over £800 to get new!

My galving was £100 including shot blast and I got the bulkhead to chassis rail supports done as well for an extra £20.

For anyone else in the central belt I went to highland colour coaters in cumbernauld.

I also didnt know that they can galv in different colours either!! (red, blue, green...)

HTH

G :)

I've seen some discussion of bulkhead replacement and some people have had theirs galvanised before fitting it. Roughly how much does it cost to get this done?

getting bulkhead galvanised sounds good, but it will twist and distort out of shape, bracing it will only make worse due to the heating and cooling involved in the process. I would go for a good clean up and repair where necessary and there is a cold galv paint called galvafroid brush it on, or thin it down and spray it several times, even brushing on its dry in 30 mins, spraying it and it drys even quicker.

getting bulkhead galvanised sounds good, but it will twist and distort out of shape, bracing it will only make worse due to the heating and cooling involved in the process. I would go for a good clean up and repair where necessary and there is a cold galv paint called galvafroid brush it on, or thin it down and spray it several times, even brushing on its dry in 30 mins, spraying it and it drys even quicker.

doesn't warp if you take the time to prepare it like gruntus did with his bulkhead here