Transylvania Adventure Trophy 2009

Soliholic

Hello Lucy Here,

News from the boys; Alot of pretty impressive vehicles, the team who won the the Russain eqilivent of this event are in and a few other big teams have entered so it isnt going to be an easy ride!!!

Day 1

Prolouge, they went out in team order, Paul,Nev, Andy and Adrian are team 33 so they had a bit of a wait. Alot of teams before them had alot of troubles, braking bits, rolling and generally taking aolt of time to finish the stage, team 33 did the section in 4 minutes and were very happy with this result. The prolouge stage determines what order you will start in on the following day so they were hopeful that they would be in the top five.

Day 2

Started in 4th place which they were really happy with. Dom, Vincent, Sebastian and his co-driver had some catastophic vehicle breakages and are out of the competition along with quite a few other teams. They had a few quite challenging sections, rock sections, reveens etc. The vehicles held together really well apart from one plasma on Pauls rear winch breaking sending him careering down a bank!!!!! They had caught up the 3 teams in front and were they are faster on the speed sections our teams are making up for it in the technical stuff!!! They finished the day by about 3.30pm so got to give the vehicles a good check, shower and relax. Zolly, Lee, Mark and his co-driver hadn't yet come in when I spoke to him at 5.30 so no news yet from them. Tommorrow they will again start the day in place order tomorrow and they will be happy to still be in fiorth as it is easier when car have been through before you.

More updates tommorrow but all good for now!!!

P.S. If anyone cares I went to see Take That last night and they were fab!!!!!!!!

Lucy

xx

More news!!!!

Zolly has had a few breakages and has only just come in so don't know what they are doing yet. Dom is now teaming up with one of the muddy bottom lot and taking part non competitively. Paul and Andy think they have missed one check point and don't know at this stage what the penalty for this will be as yet.

They have a long day tomorrow.

Lucy

x

Standings after Day 1: http://transilvania-trophy.blogspot.com/20...gs-day-one.html

Some other facts from Day 1 (Trial day):

- two VW buggies had mechanical problems and didn't get through the special stage after the trial

- the orange Defender is too big (wide) for the special stages, it had some machanical/technical problems as well (it was abandoned over night some km short of the camp site); the roumors are it didn't do to well in the trial section either; they're thinking to shift it to Hobby class :lol:

Pictures:

- http://forum.club4x4.ro/viewtopic.php?f=25...18&start=15

- http://www.offroadtranssylvania.ro/gallery...album&id=31

- the orange Defender is too big (wide) for the special stages, it had some machanical/technical problems as well (it was abandoned over night some km short of the camp site); the roumors are it didn't do to well in the trial section either; they're thinking to shift it to Hobby class :lol:

I spoke to Marek in the 21a orange 110 Defender yesterday, apparently some of the tracks alongside the ravines are so narrow that it left them literally hanging over the edge, they took the decission to abandon it for the night 5km from the finish. They then spent 10 hours yesterday trying to get it out of the stage. I don't think it's wider than that blue Nissan in the pics, does anybody know how they got on?

I don't think they had any major mechanical problems, its just not been proven before so they're taking it easy.

Paul in the 100" 21b is going to continue in extreme, non-competively. Marek is hoping to join the hobby, but is pretty down beat having spent so long getting it ready for the event etc.

Hi Lucy here,

Paul, nev, Andy and Adi started this morning 3rd, great news. Andy has broken a steering box but Paul was carrying a spare so they have changed that and are back in. There was quite a big gap between them and the team behind them so hopefully they haven't caught up too much.

Speak soon

Lucy

xx

Hello,

They had their long day yesterday and didn't return to camp til way past midnight!! Had a few steering issues half way through a 100 mile stage but they were only the second team to have completed the course so going really well. Went out today in second, so getting exciting now!!!

Lucy

x

Hello,

They had their long day yesterday and didn't return to camp til way past midnight!! Had a few steering issues half way through a 100 mile stage but they were only the second team to have completed the course so going really well. Went out today in second, so getting exciting now!!!

Lucy

x

Wahoo! The guys sound like they're going great guns. Any news on any of the other GB crews???

Wahoo! The guys sound like they're going great guns. Any news on any of the other GB crews???

From the Muddybottom guys Marek in the orange 110 is out and spectating and Paul (Moose) in the yellow 100" has teamed up with the remaining car from team 35 (Dom?)

Lucy,

any more news? Paul, nev, Andy and Adi, how are they?? First i hope!

Filipe Santos

Portugal

Hello,

Lucy

x

Hello Lucy here,

It was a hard day yesterday! The had a 60K stage to complete and one of the sections was particularly difficult. Paul, Andy, Nev and Adi took a look at it and Paul decided that he felt it was too dangerous to attempt, not sure wether he had made the right decision or not the whole team didn't do the section, potentionally jepodising their 2nd place position. Anyway when they got back to camp at around 9pm last night they were told that nobody had done this particular section apart from the Russians (who were first) and they tore the front axle off of their truck and are now out of the competition. Which means.............Paul, Nev, Andy and Adi went out today is 1st place !!!!!!!!!The car is doing really well and Dan is working so hard to do running repairs and servicing overnight while the boys get some sleep. The whole team is getting on and working really well together and Andy is even having outdoor showers!!!!!

I haven't heard anything yet today but will post as soon as I do. It is the last day tommorrow and hopefully it will be a fairly easy day as the presentations etc are tommorrow night so I would imagine it will be a fairly early finish.

Speak soon, keep fingers crossed!

Lucy

x

Here's some more, in short:

- yesterday they had a lot of rain, storm wrecked some tents

- no team in Group 2 managed to finish the yesterdays's stage

- the leaders in Group 2 (where Paul & Co are) retired after the plasma on the rear winch of car 20b gave up and the vehicle fell several tens of yards and crashed in a ravine; fortunately the pilot chose not to stay in the vehicle while winching (something he doesn't usually do) so he's unharmed (and very happy with the decision that saved his life)

- medical teams were very busy: 20 interventions, broken collarbone, internal hemorage, one guy from France lost 4 fingers (amputated by the winch line).

- lots and lots and lots of mud ....

- today's weather was excellent.

Woohoo go team Challenger! Good decision on Paul's part! Really hope they pull this off.... :)

- the leaders in Group 2 (where Paul & Co are) retired after the plasma on the rear winch of car 20b gave up and the vehicle fell several tens of yards and crashed in a ravine; fortunately the pilot chose not to stay in the vehicle while winching (something he doesn't usually do) so he's unharmed (and very happy with the decision that saved his life)

- medical teams were very busy: 20 interventions, broken collarbone, internal hemorage, one guy from France lost 4 fingers (amputated by the winch line).

This sounds terrifying. :blink:

Hello Lucy here,

It was a hard day yesterday! The had a 60K stage to complete and one of the sections was particularly difficult. Paul, Andy, Nev and Adi took a look at it and Paul decided that he felt it was too dangerous to attempt, not sure wether he had made the right decision or not the whole team didn't do the section, potentionally jepodising their 2nd place position. Anyway when they got back to camp at around 9pm last night they were told that nobody had done this particular section apart from the Russians (who were first) and they tore the front axle off of their truck and are now out of the competition. Which means.............Paul, Nev, Andy and Adi went out today is 1st place !!!!!!!!!The car is doing really well and Dan is working so hard to do running repairs and servicing overnight while the boys get some sleep. The whole team is getting on and working really well together and Andy is even having outdoor showers!!!!!

I haven't heard anything yet today but will post as soon as I do. It is the last day tommorrow and hopefully it will be a fairly easy day as the presentations etc are tommorrow night so I would imagine it will be a fairly early finish.

Speak soon, keep fingers crossed!

Lucy

x

Looking forward to see this guys in the BIG TRUCK , with the Champagne Botles and receving the 1st Price!!!! Everyone clapping!!

Filipe Santos

It has all gone a bit pair shaped as far as the results go, Dan was told last night that they were leading by six hours so very exciting.The boys didn't get back to camp until 5am and were the only team to complete the stages yesterday. Anyway they got up this morning to find they were actually in six place and two teams that are ahead of them have scores for two days that they didn't even compete in so nobody know what on earth is going on now. I am so disappointed for them, hopefully the scores will get sorted and the best team will win. But they are all completely exhausted and the score thing put a bit of a downer on it today.

Lucy

x

They could have been the leaders in Group 2 but only after the finish of yesterday's stage they could put the rankings from both groups side by side to get the overall standings.

That's the reason there were no intermediate standings published until now, with the exception of the 1st day when both groups were running the same stage (the trial).

We'll now for sure in less than 6 hours.

It has all gone a bit pair shaped as far as the results go, Dan was told last night that they were leading by six hours so very exciting.The boys didn't get back to camp until 5am and were the only team to complete the stages yesterday. Anyway they got up this morning to find they were actually in six place and two teams that are ahead of them have scores for two days that they didn't even compete in so nobody know what on earth is going on now. I am so disappointed for them, hopefully the scores will get sorted and the best team will win. But they are all completely exhausted and the score thing put a bit of a downer on it today.

Lucy

x

Arriving to the END, is a great VICTORY, but we expect the best. 1st place for them

Filipe Santos

bad news I am afraid, they thought they would have an easier day today as they had to finish by 4 but no it was still really really hard. It has been the most extreme and most dangerous event any of them have had to do and after having no sleep last night and being faced with another 1000ft vertical winch climb up the side of a mountain the boys decided that they couldn't do any more. They would have been putting themselves in danger to carry on. So they sacked it, they are all gutted now but feel that they did really well to do as well as they did, they are all in one piece and so are the trucks. Apparently people who have done it before are saying that they have winched more in just one section than they did over the complete event in previous years. The weather had alot to do with this, tracks washed away and slippery rocks etc. I think that if they had been in higher standing this morning they probably would have continued but hey I am proud of them whatever, and knowing the boys like I do I think it must have been pretty mental for them to give up. But they have had a really good crack and they can now say they have done it but don't think they will be going again. Real shame. They are at the presentation now so as soon as I know the overall scores I will post them up.

Lucy

x

I spoke to Marek in the 21a orange 110 Defender yesterday, ..................

......... its just not been proven before so they're taking it easy.

From watching this movie,

, it looks that they were taking it too easy :)

Moose (in yellow Def) was flying compared to the orange Def. IMHO the orange Def setup is just not the right thing for this kind of events.