Tidworth Area

Guest WALFY

As it is a bit quiet over on the laning forum I thaught I'd post here instead. I've just started work well I will on Monday in the lovely town of Tidworth. Is there a local scene ie regular pub/offroad jaunts in the area? Or do I have to make do with going to Exmoor most weekends.

I take it this would be Tidworth in Wiltshire? if so you got all of the green lanes on Salisbury Plain to keep you amused (just stick to them, the MoD Plod will either get to you first or the un-exploded shells will!), or there is the Shires or Solent and District LRC down near Southampton shiresLRC SADLRC

I'm in Amesbury but my 109 is in pieces ;) in the next few months I'll have it together and shall go exploring the plain in me spare time

As it is a bit quiet over on the laning forum I thaught I'd post here instead. I've just started work well I will on Monday in the lovely town of Tidworth. Is there a local scene ie regular pub/offroad jaunts in the area? Or do I have to make do with going to Exmoor most weekends.

Walfers me old sock,

As I work in the greater Salisbury area and am based at Combe Bissett, why not meet up for luncheon - the nations security will cope - and I will let you copy ALL my maps of the area!

How about the week after next?

Wlafy,

i am about to start in Tidworth on the 5 sept. which one you in?

that T box came out today if you are still interested. it needs a new front oil seal which i have!! let me know if you still want it, its a 1..4 ratio one, 140k miles on it.

email me on trem417@aol.com or drop me a pm

oh yeah those fans work a treat - many thanks.

Good to hear there are a few friendly faces around there :) . Luvvers sounds good to me. Will have to check the workload but should be OK for a luncheon. James, I'll be at 3 AES. If you know where that is you'll know what job I do. Where are you going to.

I've heard loads of people that say they never want to work at Tidworth but as soon as they get there they enjoy it. At last after 16 yrs in the job I actualy get a posting that I've asked for. This should see me out for my last 5 and a bit yrs.

Keep a eye on SCOR they race on Sidbury hill as do the AWDC.

I know Scor are always after Marshalls when racing up there which meens you get to have a play on the scor's permit and watch some racing at the same time.

;)

Jules

Only milk and juice comes in 2 litres

Guest diesel_jim

I'm in Swindon (same county!) but often lane over salisbury plain and Tidworth area (for what it's worth... the chip shop across the road from the Bull pub had a bit of a bad patch recently, but the new owners have turned it around and the chips are good again! :D )

Plenty of byways around the plain, like has been said, grab an OS map and stick to the roW's or the plod will get power crazy with you. the wardens are a good bunch of lads and often help you out, although if you take the pi$$ expect to get your knuckles rapped!

as been said, Tidworth is on the edge of Saisbury plain, an off road mecca of sorts. There are some interesting but non challenging tracks near Tiddy itself, as shown below. Tidworth army barracks can almost be seen to the left had the picture been wider. :rolleyes:

If there is a meet to drive round the plain, let me know as I would like to trundle along.

DSC00359i.jpg

Another local checking in, and as RT says; the makings of a meet coming on here :)

There is a Salisbury Plain Offroad Club, but it has died a death in the last couple of years, although have a resuscitation plan for the winter :D

Walfers

If you take the greater plain/salisbury area, there are about 350 plus miles of lanes of varying abilities.

There are so many around my office that I have to take cold showers if I think about them. My 'New Generation Defender' is taking such a pounding from all the 'short cuts', it's falling apart...

I am putting together a couple of 'Winter Warmer' night time laning sessions across Hants/Wilts and Dorset later this year and I have the dates for when the Old Marlboro' road is open across the impact areas.

For clubs, PM V8Bertha on this ere forum, Dan is El Presidente of the Shire Land Rover Club, probably the best LR club in the Southern Half of the UK (steady Deano).

There is a Salisbury Plain Offroad Club, but it has died a death in the last couple of years, although have a resuscitation plan for the winter :D

I did a basic website for it /www.salisburyplainlandroverclub.co.uk but thats it, oh and the registration runs out this month if anyone wants it!!

Haven't heard from Daryl Watts (who runs it) for ages.

The people who used to do Shires greenlanes (had good knowledge) are not doing it any more, but if you wanted to go out that way i am sure they would be glad to help.

But they do have a new member who does good roadbooks!

I was'nt being funny or dising the new greenlanes officer when i made that comment.