Discovery 2 Air suspension problem...

Mudzilla

Hi,

Bought a 99 Disco 2 about a week ago, and am loving it. A few niggles, with the most recent being the air suspension has dropped completely.

I came out of work and it looked like (it was dark) it was sitting on its bump stops. During my 10 min journey home the rear did not re-inflate at all, and when i press the 'offroad' button it 'bongs' at me and the light on the dash goes out straight away.

Any ideas on this? Im guessing its either the compressor or the compressor AND the bags as all the other posts on here say that the suspension inflated while driving.

Also, is it ok to drive it while its 'deflated'. I dont want to do any damage to anything. Ive read that if its the air bags that have got a leak, you shouldnt drive it for too long without replacing them as the compressor will be working over-time. But, seeing as the rear isnt going back up, my logic says that the compressor probably isnt working? Who knows?

Thanks for your help,

Rich

If it is that far gone then I would bin the lot and fit coils.

Best thing before you start is to get it plugged into a computer - the fault could be something else like the height sensors which might shut down the system - if it doesn't know how high it is to start with it will probably lock out as a precaution.

our disco suffered the same - but only on one side.

the ride height sensors are attached to the rear trailing arms and the bottom the sensore that bolts to the arm is PLASTIC!!!

these can snap causing the sensor to drop all the way down so the vehicle thinks its on full suspension droop and deflate the bags.

stick your head under the motor just in front of each rear wheel and have a look. cable tie the sensors back onto the bolt on the radius arm and then restart the engine and up it will go!

• 3 years later...

Hi mud,

Same here, just bought an 02 td5 auto a few months ago and the offside rear has started to settle when parked. I did notice on a longish run that it seemed to be down whilst driving as the handling became very twitchy and it doesn't 'sit right' on the road. All country roads, no nice straight motor ways up here. Considered changing the rear bags but first stop will be the sensors now, thanks to nick. I'll be back!

Cheers guys

Rob