Oram Shock Absorbers

Roman

Hi all,

Just got back from a long trip and discovered that everybody has moved over from LRE to this forum. So her I am too.

Now, what's the body of opinion regarding these shocks? How do they perform? Are they robust enough for long trips? Do the remote reservoires make a big/little difrerence for the overall score?

Any comments will be much appreciated.

These are the ones used on the extreme suspension set-up from Scorpion. You might try posting posting on LRO forum as a few on there use extreme kit.

I also saw the King shocks at Billing that they use for racing. These are very heavy duty shocks. They also are component based so you can strip, replace seals and re-gas in the field too.

Expensive too, but if it provides good reliability and saves buying multiple sets of shocks, over the long term it probably pays back.

Cheers

Steve

from what i can make out, Oram dampers are thinly veiled Italian copies of an Ohlins damper.

Ohlins make some of the best (pure racing) road and off-road dampers in the world.

I emailed them several years ago about tech specs and possible sales/distribulorship in this part of the world, but they either don't speak English or just didn't want to talk to me..... :lol:

Andy, you're steel fettish is getting nearly as bad as Nigel's :P

Mark, are you sure the Equipe price is right? IIRC, the 'Rock kit' is basicly the A-frame and that's about £900 :unsure:

I don't know much about the Oram dampers. They look to be pretty good quality from the photos I've seen but I've never seen one in peices so I can't really tell. Probably the person to ask is Julian Read, its the sort of shock that the racers use.

Remote reservoirs are useful if you really give you're shocks abuse (at speed) as they mean there's more oil in them so they don't overheat as fast and they also act like a radiator to loose some of the heat.

I run orams now for more than 3 years and have no problem with them. they are also rebuildable and damping and rebound can be adjusted via a little pump (between 1 and 7 bar pressure). Neil Redpath (sp?) destroyed them on the OBC some time ago. He broke off the top of the damper. I know have a set of 14 inch orams with external reservoir but i still have to fit them and test them. so all in all, i'm pleased with the setup.

Been running orams with my extreme kit for two and a half years now.

Only problem I had was that the origional seals started leaking after a year, by which time the design had been improved, so scorpion stripped them down and rebuilt them with the modified seals for me (free :D ).

Being able to change bits and not be forced to buy a new shock is a plus for me.

Richard

Andy,

welcome to the "heavy AF overengineering club" :lol:

I'll have a measure and be back to you

I have spent a while on the Equipe site, nice but Serious F overpriced, and the thing that worries me (otgher than £900 squid) is the fact that a RR a frame is in SHEAR whereas the rose joint is screwed in to the tube and is in tension rather than shear ?

Mind you the £900 bit has dione it for me

Jeeeeeeeeeeeezz I could but loads of thick wall tube / heavy plate for that much £ :D

Nige

• 7 years later...
Hello, i am searching for some service manual/instructions or parts diagram for Equipe4x4 art.003 and art.004 shocks - older desing (same as was used by scorpion racing extreme kit - without remote reservoir).
I want to know to what pressure they should be inflated as one of the shocks started to leak and i want to check the pressure in it.

many thanks

I've been dribbling at the Equipe site,

the A Frame rose jointed thingy is a joy to behold...

.if the shocks are of this qaulity, shame not to have them on the mantle piece biggrin.gif

as "Art Work to dribble over", so nice shame to use, place it next to the A Frame I'm thinking about ! ? biggrin.gif

Nige

My questions is why do all the makers or the rose joint Aframe joint orientate the rose joint that way, with the more extreme setups it would be better to mount it upright, so you get the unrestricted moment from the joint for axle angle (articulation)

Hello, i am searching for some service manual/instructions or parts diagram for Equipe4x4 art.003 and art.004 shocks - older desing (same as was used by scorpion racing extreme kit - without remote reservoir).

I want to know to what pressure they should be inflated as one of the shocks started to leak and i want to check the pressure in it.

many thanks

From memory of when I changed the seals on mine they were supposed to be 200PSI.

Will try and dig out the values I was given for pressure and oil quantity.

Though I used Argosheild not Nitrogen to fill :-)