winch battery

Ben Spray

Hi all.

Need a new battery on my 90, have just fitted a Warn 8274 up front which will be used for self recovery and a bit of garden work, pulling stumps etc, no comps etc just pay and play.

What do I do, either replace with something like this which I guess would give decent starting and a fair power reserve for the winch:

http://www.leisurebatteryshop.co.uk/item-N...0MCA-I3694.html

or am I better off running 2 batteries and a split charge system, like 2 of these with an X-eng split charge relay (benifits would be more power for the winch and less likely to flatten the starter battery - but how likely is that with my intended usage??)

http://www.leisurebatteryshop.co.uk/item-N...0MCA-I3126.html

Or do I buy 1 out of the 2 86ah ones now and upgrade later to split charge if I find I need it (an option which I dont think is possible with the larger battery due to lack of space under the pasenger seat??? although Im at work now and havent measured...)

Never that sure about split charge systems after the relay on my 101 locked closed somehow and totally killed both batteries while it was sitting...

Cheers

Ben

For the minimal winching you propose I would suggest one battery and a good condition alternator will be fine.

Get the biggest battery you can find at your local auto factor and you should be good to go for about £50.

No point shelling out on fancy batteries for what you are proposing (in fact there's no point shelling out on fancy batteries full stop in my opinion!!)

Hi

Yeah Im replacing a 664 which has just died, wasnt sure it would be up to winching (albeit light useage) weirdly the one I have isnt that old, levels are ok, looks clean inside no plate damage or white stuff, charger will charge it and cut off within an hour or less after taking it off the 90 but put it on the 90 and it wont even start it... Thought perhaps it was the starter motor so I took a battery off my car (just a small regular car battery) and it started instantly so guess the battery has some internal damage of some sort.

Cheers

Don't fit any sort of 'deep cycle' battery. They should be called 'slow, deep cycle' batteries. They're intended for gradual drain over longer periods of time.

Winching imposes large current spikes, like a starter motor (granted, longer 'spikes' than starting), so you are far better off with starter batteries.

Yeah Im replacing a 664 which has just died, wasnt sure it would be up to winching (albeit light useage)

I had a 664 in my 90 with 5ish hp motor on an 8274 and it was fine even doing the odd winch challenge event. CCA and capacity is about 150% of standard LR battery so a good jump up and plenty for light winching, and without any complications* of a split charge unit.

* Yeh I know a split charge is hardly complicated

Cool Im sold then guys cheers, will grab a replacement 664

weirdly Ive just put that old battery on my car and it fires that up fine but not the 90 (wheras the cars battery will fire the 90 up) - car is a 4 litre v8 jag so hardly easy to start I wouldnt have thought, 90 is a 200tdi..

Cheers

Ben

For recreational use the standard 69 amp hour battery on my V8 RRC (goodness knows how old an tired it is) is surficient for the EP9 on the front. I've only once flattened it winching and that was about 5 minutes constant winch through a wet hole where for a while all 4 wheels where submerged.

Cool Im sold then guys cheers, will grab a replacement 664

weirdly Ive just put that old battery on my car and it fires that up fine but not the 90 (wheras the cars battery will fire the 90 up) - car is a 4 litre v8 jag so hardly easy to start I wouldnt have thought, 90 is a 200tdi..

Cheers

Ben

4 ltr V8 (petrol?) 200tdi- diesel. petrol engines have a lower compression ratio compared to diesel (roughly 10:1 compared to roughly 20:1 for diesel), also 8 cylinders compared to 4, as soon as one fires at takes the load off the starter/battery. I have an old diesel forklift battery that could no longer do its job but starts my lightweight first go.

• 3 weeks later...

There are devices called "charge balancers" for split systems. Then(within reason), you can treat the batteries as independent as long as the appliances electrics aren't grounded. If they are, one lead to earth, and the other to battery/s, 12 or 24