Auto gearbox dipstick keeps coming out

Stu2985

My 300 tdi auto box dipstick keeps working its way up the pipe

After a coupe of days around 50 miles it creeps about a 1cm up breaking the seal at the top

Any ideas ? the little clips dont look too worn where the dipstick kind of locks into the pipe

After a coupe of days around 50 miles it creeps about a 1cm up breaking the seal at the top

Any ideas ? the little clips dont look too worn where the dipstick kind of locks into the pipe

If u try to tighten the upper part of the pipe into an oval shape, gently using some pliars , your dipstick will stay locked.

Just press 1mm and it will be enough.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

thanx for the replies guys

will try em out this weekend (long as it dont snow )

I have found that auto boxes build up pressure inside if the filter is not changed. This causes the dipstick to blow out.

Jim, new filter, new ATF, autobox dipstick still moves up, can a blocked breather cause the pressure build-up, and if so, where is the breather located?

Cheers,

Thys

Hi Thys, it is important to check that the filter you fit is the same as the one that comes out, and is the correct one. We were once supplied with a filter for a Jag or BMW (by ZF themselves, the idiots) which had a slightly different position for the inlet (or outlet) hole. It just about blew the whole dipstick out of the tube, and most of the oil as well.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if the auto box even has a breather. Someone must know. The Disco II doesn't even have a dipstick so surely that one must have a breather somewhere.

I'll have a look in the book of words and see if there is mention of one.

Thys

I have exactly the same problem.Atf and filter were changed last year,all works smoothly but auto dipstick moves out of its tube about 1cm after a short run.I suspected the breather which I think is on the left rear of the box[banjo fitting nylon pipe]The pipe disappeared over the bell housing somewhere too hard to locate,so left it as is!Only other quirk is sometimes the idle surges, probably only +/- 50 rpm.This is on a 300TDI auto,do not know if this related?Pressure etc.

Hi Thys, it is important to check that the filter you fit is the same as the one that comes out, and is the correct one.

Good afternoon Jim, and thanks for the reply. I did the bottom end service myself, no extra hands, so by the time I removed the cross member and one mounting to access the last sump bolt, I triple checked the new filter, unless of course the previous filter was also the wrong one. I must admit, after fitting the new filter and fresh ATF (drained and replaced twice at 100km intervals to allow for the ATF in the torque converter) I had a 100% improvement. The filter and gasket I bought from Wayne.

Cheers

It's a very good idea to change the ATF often, as you have done. If you want your gearbox to last, you could try Dexron III synthetic ATF (if you can find it). We used to use Shell Donax TX (not TA which is Dexron II red stuff), but it has been unobtainable for about a year now.

And don't tow any horseboxes :(