Oil leak from front of engine cover

jagx400

I checked the oil today on my 52 TD4 and noticed splashes of oil on the (as you look from the front) right water hose, and on the underside if the engine cover, just to the right of the cover fixing stud, more or less in line with a valve with a pipe attatched to it. I took the cover off and the sponge inside was sodden with oil. I have cleaned it all of, and I cannot see anywhere it could have come from. I ran the engine with the cover off and nothing appears. I pulled the dipstick and there is no back pressure and the engine runs a treat. Any ideas.

I checked the oil today on my 52 TD4 and noticed splashes of oil on the (as you look from the front) right water hose, and on the underside if the engine cover, just to the right of the cover fixing stud, more or less in line with a valve with a pipe attatched to it. I took the cover off and the sponge inside was sodden with oil. I have cleaned it all of, and I cannot see anywhere it could have come from. I ran the engine with the cover off and nothing appears. I pulled the dipstick and there is no back pressure and the engine runs a treat. Any ideas.

Mine is currently waiting for a cam shaft seal which I think could be the cause of your leak too. Worth a check maybe.

Is i a light oil spray on the water pipe?

I had similar from the intercooler hose on the right hand side - fair bit of oil in the intercooler system whether good or bad - and the jubilee clip had become loose.

Also caused a whistling noise like air escaping when being driven plus a distint lack of power.

Other culprit - EGR hose