Weld repair to large lump of cast iron

Astro_Al

Hi guys, I need to fix up a cast iron lump that is cracked in several places - about 1/2" thick, poss more, and several feet of welds to lay down.

I need to do this properly, so I'm thinking drill a hole at the end of each crack, grind / clean out the crack, preheat with a propane torch and then burn in some nickel cored arc rods.

Should I attempt to slow post weld cooling? If so, how, its about 3 foot square and 18" high...

Lastly, does anyone have a small quantity of cast rods I can buy? I can't bring myself to pay 250 quid for a box???

Cheers, Al.

Structural, but only really it's own weight (not insignificant!). The main prob is that I want to avoid the normal cracking on cooling when fudging it with the wrong filler as it'll see some significant cyclic thermal stresses that I think could see it cracking again in time...

Al :unsure:

its must be a secret thing so I wont ask again :lol:

if you dont want to stump up for groovy rods you can be bodgy and try using 309 stainless, a lot of preheat, peen and sloooow cool with blankets - it will end up marginally more brittle than a brittle thing though

for some light reading on the subject try these (courtesy of TWI library);

C.L.M.Cottrell, 'Welding cast irons', published by TWI, Abington, Cambridge, UK, 1986 and available from Woodhead Publishing, Abington, Cambridge, UK. e-mail: sales@woodhead-publishing.com

ISBN 0 85300 176 6

Guide for Welding Iron Castings - ANSI/AWS D11.2-89, American Welding Society, Miami, Florida, USA. e-mail: info@aws.org

ISBN 0 87171 295 4

Yeah thanks Jez, thats exactly the issue I'm having. My favoured fudge was to mig it with 309 stainless (I could tig it I guess?). I have the fillers for doing it either way IIRC.

I found a kilo of cast rods (nickel) for 60 quid, so we are getting closer! Hmmm, what to do... No time for books (I've never said THAT before!), I need it done this week! :(

Al.

Yeah, I was going to pre-heat with propane either way - and possibly post-heat for a gentle come-down too, since I'd need a lot of sand / blankets to cover this thing effectively...

Any tips on peening?

The jury's still out on this so any more inputs much appreciated!

Al.

:)

The metal will be subject to serious thermal stress. I need to stop crack propagation and I think I need to get some weld in there to do that.

The problem is its easy to see the gaping part of the cracks, but the get narrower and narrower until you can no longer see them, but they are still there, so drilling a hole at the 'end' might well be 50% luck...

Tricky, this one.

Al.

Al,

Don't discount the Metalok solution on strength grounds - we have used it to great effect on bridges (Grade 1 listed 1816 vintage) for structural repairs.

Won't be any good if you need a gas tight seal though.....

If they use it for the oil industry in pump and compressor casings it cant be that bad!! (metal stitching that is)

As for stopping the fracture drilling the ends works on aircraft wing fractures on planes that are still in service, so in theory if you can find the end youll stop the fracture so i'd get hunting al!!!

If you want to find the end of the crack you need to NDT it. Dye Penitrant testing is possible on a DIY basis. You then know that you are drilling in the right place to arrest the crack. This may be enough to stop it propagating.

Welding cast iron is something that the welding engineers at work shudder over. To higher risk of cracking as part of the welding process, cracking due to residual stress when it has cooled, failure of welds in the future. Tell them that you want to metal stitch it and they breath a sigh of releilf.

It's a good repair that I would consider 1st before looking at welding. At the end of the day LLOYDs shipping insurab=nc approve the process for use on ships - stitching together crank cases you can party inside they are so big. So it's not a black art.

However we don't know what you are trying to repair, what stresses it will see and so on.

Adrian

Oooh! So close! Just scale it up a bit...

If its any consolation, the only other one of these I've seen (this specific 'model') was out in a garden being used as a BBQ!

It seemed a bit/lot OT so I was trying not to bring the whole 'what is' Q into it.

Al.

:ph34r:

Yeah, but then how would I get my kicks?

Ok, here ya go:

post-139-1232550936_thumb.jpg

post-139-1232550970_thumb.jpg

:(

Needler might be handy Jez, how about bringing it down with those bits, or I can prob pop over at some point in the next few days?

Cheers, Al.

P.S. for land rover content, check out the delightful Freelander propshaft in the bottom right, 2nd pic. Oooooh yeeeaaahhhhhh.