300tdi EDC EGR blanking

basquen

Hi,

Just about to order an EGR blanking kit for my 97 300tdi EDC auto import. I've trawled through archives and am 99% sure this is OK but would like to hear from anyone else who has done the same to an EDC import. The EGR electrics have already been unplugged (previous owner) but it would seem to make sense to blank off at the manifold same as the non EDC version. Is it worth changing top hose to intercooler if blanked at manifold ? I keep an eye on the the various electric / starting problems that these EDC models can have and am loathe to provoke avoidable trouble !

Cheers

Nick

Although not an import I blanked the EGR at the exhaust manifold on my 1996 EDC Discovery with no problems. I also replaced the top intercooler hose at the same time using a silicon replacement, although you can get a standard non-egr top hose. And when I encountered the starting problems I pulled the EDC off completely and fitted a mechanical pump. No starting problems and cheaper insurance.

Pete.

Running a 96 300 tdi auto

I have blanked off the EGR at the manifold. I left everything else in place ( hoses connectors etc) just put on a new top hose from intercooler (used landrover Defender top hose as cheap as chips) Few months later I had an uprated intercooler fitted so replaced hoses with silicone ones burt even before I did that it ran fine and never had any issues starting. Only time I ever had starting problems was this winter when I found my glow plugs were knackerd.

Just be careful undoing the EGR connector on the manifold - friend of mine snapped an allen key in the head which is still sitting there to this day :blink:

Theres a stack of info on EDC problems with starting a lot seem to reckon its to do with timing.

Go ahead and remove it and see how you get on

As for the fuel pump once mine dies I will replace with a mechanical one