2004 Discovery II Diff Lock

Guyver1

Hi all,

Hoping to find a definitive answer to an odd (daft :huh:?? ) question.

I have recent purchased a 2004 Discovery II Landmark. I was thumbing through the owners manual and it suggested that it has a diff lock similar to my D1.

Stickers on the centre console seem to back this up, they are the same as the D1. The high low range selector has only high and low marked.

I have tried the D1 way of selecting Diff lock, the selector allows for NO side ways movement at all.

I did a search around and found out that some of the 01 to 03 DII's don't have a diff lock because they have traction control , also found a few posts suggesting that the last DII's (I presume mines is one of the last being an 04 plate) had the diff lock as well as Traction control.

Can any one shed any light ? (or am i :wacko: )

thanks in advance

alan

Hi all,

Hoping to find a definitive answer to an odd (daft :huh:?? ) question.

I have recent purchased a 2004 Discovery II Landmark. I was thumbing through the owners manual and it suggested that it has a diff lock similar to my D1.

Stickers on the centre console seem to back this up, they are the same as the D1. The high low range selector has only high and low marked.

I have tried the D1 way of selecting Diff lock, the selector allows for NO side ways movement at all.

I did a search around and found out that some of the 01 to 03 DII's don't have a diff lock because they have traction control , also found a few posts suggesting that the last DII's (I presume mines is one of the last being an 04 plate) had the diff lock as well as Traction control.

Can any one shed any light ? (or am i :wacko: )

thanks in advance

alan

the following link mayb of some use

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/diff_lock.html

I had a similar dilema.

Does your transfer lever (the actual black head f the lever) actually have Diff-lock written on it, or does it just have High - N - Low? If it has Difflock written on it then you should be able to move the lever over to the left, if not, then you won't be able to move the lever across.

The article on discovery2 is a good read.

Everything I've read says that 04 plate discos do have the difflock in the transfer box and you just need the linkage fitting, but mine doesn't have the spigot on the top of the transfer case so that would suggest I don't have the internals either. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place :huh:

Have you driven the vehicle off-road much yet? If not I'd suggest seeing how you go without the difflock, you might be very surprised at how well it does ;)

The link was very, very useful, thank you.

I'll be crawling under to see if I have the spigot later today and see where I go from there.

My transfer lever only has HIGH--N--LOW.

I have been off road a few times and it performed very well indeed, but being used to a D1 I did spend a few mins grunting trying to push the transfer lever to engage the diff lock, With no success, then the penny dropped when I actually read the top of the transfer lever.

It is odd that the sticker on the centre console is identical to the one of my D1. Guess LandRover wanted to keep us all guessing.

Thanks for the help gents.

alan

Well just checked mine again and it definiately doesn't have Difflock in the transfer box. So everywhere that says 04 models do is wrong (including good old Haynes).

I'm not too bothered though, as I say, I think it performs very well as it is. It will be even better when I switch from road tyres :P

Everything I've read says that 04 plate discos do have the difflock in the transfer box and you just need the linkage fitting,

you mite get away with using a small actuator and wireing that up, that way you only need a switch!

Well just checked mine again and it definiately doesn't have Difflock in the transfer box. So everywhere that says 04 models do is wrong (including good old Haynes).

I'm not too bothered though, as I say, I think it performs very well as it is. It will be even better when I switch from road tyres :P

Hi,

There is as you say some confusion ref 2004 models and a CDL. The truth is, that from late 2003 Land Rover re-introduced the CDL as a customer option, it did not do as they did in the early days and fit ALL the transfer boxes with a CDL in the case and then just "hook it up" in the cabin for those customers that paid for it.

The real confusing issue is the Label on the centre console. They never produced "different" labels for vehicles with or without a CDL, so lots of owners see the label and think they have one. If there is no "diff lock" embosed on the knob, then there is no difflock in the case unfortunatley.

Offcourse lying underneath and "feeling" for the CDL nipple is the only 100% way to tell, but the Diff lock nob on the lever is really a good enough indication.

• 11 years later...

i know this is an old post, but my 2004 Disco 2 does have the cdl. I use it all the time when going over rocks and sand dunes. Was this not a popular option? Mine so far has been the only one ive seen with this option. It has the 4.6L V8 if that helps at all though i doubt that is a factor. I also don't have fog lights and it's the stock bumper. 

7 hours ago, FishnChips2 said:

i know this is an old post, but my 2004 Disco 2 does have the cdl. I use it all the time when going over rocks and sand dunes. Was this not a popular option? Mine so far has been the only one ive seen with this option. It has the 4.6L V8 if that helps at all though i doubt that is a factor. I also don't have fog lights and it's the stock bumper. 

AFter they'd got rid of the difflock, they later brought it back as only an option in the UK. I suspect that most people buying the vehicles for towing a caravan or taking the little darlings to school didn't bother ticking the option. So I reckon they're mainly (in the UK at least) just on the high specced models which just came with every option.