Electric Seat Problems

tuko

A friend has a mystery going with the front electric seats in his Range Rover Classic 1992, V8.

When he uses the electrical seat adjustment controls on the side of the seat base the seats stays still and the electric mirrors work! :o

Are the electric for the front seats and mirrors tied in with each other? We are trying to figure this out, but are lost for ideas.

Suggestions/ideas/comments??

Cheers,

Todd.

A friend has a mystery going with the front electric seats in his Range Rover Classic 1992, V8.

When he uses the electrical seat adjustment controls on the side of the seat base the seats stays still and the electric mirrors work! :o

Are the electric for the front seats and mirrors tied in with each other? We are trying to figure this out, but are lost for ideas.

Suggestions/ideas/comments??

Cheers,

Todd.

The electric seats are coupled with the mirrors to enable each key 1 or 2 to select the memorised seat and mirror positions for different drivers. This is controlled by the BECM and should operate the mirror switching position only when the relevent key is placed in the ignition. There is a seat memory button which records the selected positions.

Quote from the handbook " To recall your stored position after the seat or mirrors have been moved by another driver, press the appropriate switch (1 or 2); the seat and mirrors will return to the position stored by the memory. Once they have reached their memory positions a tone will sound to confirm the operation is complete".

If you are pushing the wrong buttons the above result will happen.

Seat adjustment is only possible with the starter switch turned to pos 1 or 11 or with the door open with the starter switch at pos 0.

Try this first before suspecting crossed wires.

Good luck

Reg

I have exactly the same problem with my LSE ! (and it isn't driver error, the car haas been sitting for a while but I drove it regularly prior to that)

.. I suspect it must be an earth that is the issue so that power from the seat control is heading through the mirror to earth rather than through the seat motors. Unfortunately, I can't move the seat to get access to the allen bolts, thus can't take it out

So, I've left it. :(

Let me knw how you get on ;)

most common fault are the swich contacts. You can take the switches apart and clean the contacts. If you try it do it over a white cloth so you can find any small part that drop out as you open the switch. I done it several time and it's always cured the problem.

Well we are getting closer to solving this problem. The control unit that sits under the drivers seat (LHD vehicle) we took it out to remove the cover to find inside that everything was covered with condensation. :o The Range Rover was parked up for the past 4 months in a dry garage and that thing inside the RR is full of condensation. :angry2:

At this point a quick fix is a direct 12V lead is hooked up to the seat controls so that we can adjust in all directions. Of course the memory doesn't work but that's not a worry at this time.

Todd.

Well we are getting closer to solving this problem. The control unit that sits under the drivers seat (LHD vehicle) we took it out to remove the cover to find inside that everything was covered with condensation. :o The Range Rover was parked up for the past 4 months in a dry garage and that thing inside the RR is full of condensation. :angry2:

At this point a quick fix is a direct 12V lead is hooked up to the seat controls so that we can adjust in all directions. Of course the memory doesn't work but that's not a worry at this time.

Todd.

Those ECU's under the driver seat quite often go wrong when a vehicle is left unused & condensation is going tomake it worse. I believe the relays inside can stick, when this happens you can't adjust the seats or mirrors which is a pain. I'd have a go at trying to fix it if you can as they are a bit pricey.

Todd,

Your ECU was under the left hand seat?

Mine has also been sitting "unused" for about 18 months but I need to do something with it so may "jump" the seat controls and see what I can find below ... <_<

Cheers gents!

The connector to the motors under the seat has 8 pins, (2 rows of 4). I've wired different switches into this connector in the past as a temporary fix. Getting the mirrors to work again might be a bit trickier without the ECU as the wiring is all intergrated into the main loom & would take a bit of working out.

The mirrors work perfectly fine for us, it's the seat controls that refused to work. Actually when you worked the seat controls, the mirrors moved and seats did nothing! LOL

As for the seat controls, we've jumped the leads with direct 12V feeds and now we have everything working.

This is of course a temp. fix.

Todd.

• 10 months later...

The electric seats are coupled with the mirrors to enable each key 1 or 2 to select the memorised seat and mirror positions for different drivers. This is controlled by the BECM and should operate the mirror switching position only when the relevent key is placed in the ignition. There is a seat memory button which records the selected positions.

Somewhat late, but that would only apply to a P38 - completely different on the classic (no BECM for starters...).

If you have memory seats the mirrors are controlled by the same system as it also stores the mirror positions.

It's worth noting that the system is actually, if I remember correctly, a Mercedes one, and I have heard that Mercedes charge less for parts - no idea about availability these days though.

I've not experienced the same problem that Todd's friend had, so if your problem is exactly the same then this won't help, but a problem I've come across before is that the mirror switch has been replaced with one from a lower spec car, which fits but has the wrong contents inside, so when you try to move the mirrors they will only go in one direction... The memory also stops working completely sometimes but the system can be reset by opening the controller under the drivers seat up and shorting out one of the capacitors (can't remember which one, which isn't very helpful :().