Band Saw Blades

bishbosh

Need some replacement blades for my band saw - 64 1/2 inches long suitable for general mild steel cutting.

Ebay is littered with them. Any to look out for or avoid?

TIA

Edited to add, what tpi should I go for for general work?

Nice one Al. :)

Out of interest, are Bi metal blades really worth 5 -6 times as much as the others?

Bearing in mind I just broke a little used blade for no apparent reason, I don't really want o shell out £25 plus and then go and bust it!!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a blade welder. I have been tig-ing them but they don't last long;-(

You need to anneal the join area after welding to stop the joint fracturing. After welding the blade will be very brittle whatever type of welding process you use.

Clean up any excess weld with a dremmel or similar to ensure the weld is no wider than the rest of the blade. Then using a small flame (oxy torch or small pencil gas torch) locally apply gentle heat to the blade at the join, just until it begins to blue. If it still snaps you need to anneal the blade a little more.

You may find this article useful reading.

I was hoping someone would say they were five minutes from gatwick and had a blade welder I was welcome to use;-)

I thought blade welders were fitted to all bigish vertical saws?

Well I am 5 mins from Gatwick and I used to work at a place where we did have a vertical saw with integrated blade welder. Alas the company no longer exists, not much help to you I know, sorry.

Keep tigging, and anneal. Practice n all that... :)