Manifold manufacture

Turbocharger

sounds like this is an exhaust manifold so would be mild steel or stainless steel.

There are fold out there that sell pipe curves and metal for flanges, precut depending on what engine you are fitting to, you just need to find 'em, and then you can weld them up yourself.

Is there no way you can modify an off the shelf product?

sounds like this is an exhaust manifold so would be mild steel or stainless steel.

There are fold out there that sell pipe curves and metal for flanges, precut depending on what engine you are fitting to, you just need to find 'em, and then you can weld them up yourself.

Is there no way you can modify an off the shelf product?

Milners do a range of pre-cut bends or try Powerflow in Basingstoke and they will do the whole thing for you

Casting is gonna cost a packet but it you want a forge try Morris Singer

I presume casting's a no-no because of cost - I only want one! I can't reuse the cast exhaust manifold flange off the 300Tdi since it's cast as one with the turbo housing as far as I can see (and I don't have a scrap turbo) and it won't take welding easily either.

I could make my own with pre-bends I suppose - what's the life of a m/steel exhaust manifold? I'll not be too impressed if I shell out and find it needs doing again in 5 years, but since the moisture will be boiled off / driven away I guess (hope) it'll live longer than silencers etc.

What's the quality like from Janspeed and Powerflow? Any first-hand experience or ideas on cost? I'm aware there's more to manifolds than just piping two flanges together, so I'd like someone who can show me some calcs to suggest that there won't be constructive interference to destroy peak torque or give any other big holes in performance.

Janspeed.

He came into this country as an immigrant from Hungary in the early 1960's .Well during the Hungarian uprising.

He was soon making exhausts for most of the Grand Prix cars of the eara.

So the next time you see a Grand Prix Lotus or Cooper the exhasust should be by Janspeed.

I have only heard read good about the man and his company.

No I've never used his products.

I eat rat poison.They didn't increase my dosage today.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

I spent 3 months working in Janspeed...............

If you get a mini manifold, chances are I made the flanges!!!

Maniflow are in Salisbury http://www.maniflow.co.uk/

Janspeed are in Salisbury http://www.janspeed.com/

There is another in wilton, but I can remember its name!!

Yeah, something racing? near Land Forces HQ on the Avenue, go past it most times heading out to Shaftesbury and such like

I have found the Janspeed stuff bispoke made for my freelander is very good but I recomend if you are fitting it to a car get them to fit it.

I have done two full seasons racing with the exhast of the 1.8 and never even had to tighten it and it has taken so many knocks and bangs with not so much as a dent. remember the freelander is the lowest in the championships and always the last off the line which to me speeks volumes.

You do get what you pay for there not cheap

Power flow :o:o

Very poor quality 304 s/s, mig welded poop!!!!!!! the bends are poor also.

Primary design are the main people for top of thge range stuff,their stuff IS the very best but at a price.

They do incernel,(a type of very light weight s/s) stainless steel.

If you want bends i can supply you with whatever you need,i only use 316L which would be best welded with tig and back gassed for max durability.

Cost for 90/45 degree bends start from £3.00 - £10.00 1"- 4" dia.

Chris

I have had stuff done by Janspeed, Maniflow and Torque Techniques.

They all are very good - i think i would reccomend Torque Techniques as he is more used to bespoke than the other two - certainly in percentage of turnover, but if you went to any of those three you would get what you want (as long as you can afford it................... bespoke aint cheap)

Cheers

Nev

(I made my last exhaust - it took bloody ages - might do it again but it is ALOT easy going to the above) :)

But Torque Techniques are expensive.........

£400 for a 88 V8 exhaust system

£200 from Jake Wright

I now want to fit Tubular system so may go to Torque Techniques for the exhaust.

R

Why not use Hedman Hedders, from what i can remember and looking at the ones i have here i think they will fit a series truck with little work.

Cheers

Nev

Sorry I beg to differ.

I used Janspeed, and the quality and fit was appalling.

I think they went "Pop", and have now restarted under new ownership / management, but I have seen now a number of systems for LRs and they did not fit properly at all, needing much tweaking.

I would NEVER uise them again, they also don't know the meaning of customer service....

'Caviat Emptor bigtime'

Nige